fbpx
Menu

8 months sober and clean… Now having to heal the emotional wounds.

HomeForumsEmotional Mastery8 months sober and clean… Now having to heal the emotional wounds.

New Reply
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I made it 8 months sober and clean, that’s pretty amazing considering where I was and how i felt 8 months ago. I lived with my stepfather in another province for 19 years. During that time, it was not so great. If you ever heard of narcissistic parents and parental alienation… that is what I lived with for all those years. I was truly beaten down emotionally, made to believe I was set out to be fuck all and felt very unconfident and my self-esteem suffered immensely. My stepdad, ( i really just call him dad, since my real father is not in my life) has raised me since birth. When my mother left him, he began to bicker about her being a whore and bitch and an alcoholic and just really made her out to be this awful person. The terrible thing is that my two sisters and I believed it. We were programmed to eat all that shit and not to think any different. My stepdad walked around as if he never did a damn thing wrong, and that he was holier than God himself.

My mother decided to move to another province when I was 14. She asked me if I wanted to go with her and I told her no, I couldn’t leave. I have my sisters and it would be too hard. A few months went by and she never left, and during that summer my stepdad wanted to make a trip to the Yukon to see my Aunt and Uncle. So we left… when we came back it was my mothers turn to have me, but to my surprise, when I went to her place.. everything was gone. It tore me apart, I didn’t think she would actually leave, but she needed to get away from him. He was ruining her life with constantly taking her to court and making her own children hate her.

A year later, at 15, my stepdad moved him and myself 8 hours down south. Bigger city, new people, new start so he said. When I got there I immeditately met the drinkers and the weed smokers. I fit right in. I couldn’t wait to hangout with them and get out of my house. My first year there I met a guy who used cocaine. Soon enough, I was using it too. Every weekend, sometimes throughout the week. I began to flunk my courses in school, and just gave up. I dropped out, we broke up, and I found myself in another relationship. More cocaine, introduced to Mdma, more alcohol, soon became a regular go with these drugs and substances. It began to feel normal. At 18, I had cheated on the guy that I was with. It was a hard time in my life, and I broke down to my family and stepdad telling them I have issues. I use drugs and I drink too much. My stepdad asked “You need rehab?” I said “well, no?” and nothing was changed. I was scared. A month went by, my ex began to screw an old friend of mine and I found myself in a whole new relationship. With someone who’s whole family drank and used. It was the perfect setting for the way I felt, and who I was. Months went by and I got worse, I felt worse, I looked worse, and I wasn’t doing any good for myself. I would stay away from home for weeks, with no calls from my “dad” and I thought I was okay to be there.

One weekend, my boyfriend and I decided to use mdma. It was so strong that I thought I was overdosing. Luckily, we both woke up the next day. I didn’t get out of bed until 4pm, I had a new text on my phone. It was from my mothers husband. “I’m in the city, call if you want to meet for coffee.” I felt like hell, but I got showered, put on clothes and gave him a ring. He was at my boyfriends place in 20 minutes. We went out for coffee and talked, and he asked what I was up to nowadays and I told him everything. I told him what I was doing (nothing…. just using drugs and being a waste of life). and to that he said “Why don’t you leave here with me for a week, come have dinner with your mother and little brother, and if you want to come back, I will pay to fly you back.” after four hours of excuses, I decided I needed to leave. I kissed my boyfriend goodbye and didn’t say a word to anyone else. And we drove, 24 long hours to my mothers house. I was welcomed with a big hug, and a “holy shit, you look like hell” Mind you, I am relatively tall, 5’7 and was weighing close to 105/110 pounds. I was not healthy at all. Now I weigh 130, the color is back in my skin and my eyes are bright again. My boyfriend I broke up after I realized I needed to stay to get better.

After that long journey, my mind is still screwed up. I don’t necessarily think it’s because of the drugs, but the issues that are rooted in the back of my mind. my dad flocks to everyone nowadays saying how proud he is of me, but curses the fact that I did it with my mothers help. and asks me why I couldnt just get clean out there. He isn’t proud of me…. in reality, I know he doesn’t care. He won’t even send me my things. I’ve been working for 6 months now, saving money, thinking of college options and building a solid foundation but yet his little voice in the back of my head always puts me in terrible, miserable moods. I begin to feel like this journey is not worth it.

How the hell do I shut him out and move on with my life?
    Is it okay to cut him off forever?
    How do I keep people from getting into my mind?
    And how do I keep my emotions in control?

I’m terribly sorry for the long story but trust me it feels amazing to get this all out.

CScripter
    Participant

How the hell do I shut him out and move on with my life?

Do you know the difference between a blue sky from the starry night? Than you have your answer here. Don’t listen to the voice when it speaks. After a while it will drown out over the volume of the voice you choose to listen too.

It is always okay to cut out toxic and negative sources from your life. Whatever and whoever they may be. It is not always easy, and there is sometimes pressure from external sources. It is possible to be both grateful to a person for what positive contributions they have provided and to cut them out of your life for the negative contributions that stifle your own growth.

I’m in your mind right now, because you have asked me a question and I am now providing an answer. We’ve never met, most likely never will. And yet, I am influencing your train of thought as we speak….er, type…read? Conversation, interaction, knowledge. These all compose our mind. The mind is not ‘who’ we are. It is an immaterial reaction to our environment, designed to keep you alive by influencing your choices and behavior based upon changes in our environment. ‘Who’ we are is the singular point of awareness behind this process.

A man cannot step into the same river twice, as an ancient philosopher once wrote. This is also true of the man himself. We change moment to moment. Thought to thought.

And how do I keep my emotions in control?

By not letting them influence your actions and choices. The fundamental flaw within this question is that we can control our emotions. We cannot, not anymore than we control our environments. We control *only* ourselves.

As far as feelings go, they are visitors. Let then come and go. They are natural reactions to what happens to you. Millions of years of survival designed to keep you alive. Don’t deny, repress, dismiss, or discourage them. If you’re mad, be MAD.

Just don’t act on them. This includes what you say to people. This is how you are not controlled by your emotions.

Never lie to yourself. Everything else will follow.

Anonymous

Dear charlieray2015:
    Congratulations for being sober and clean for eight months! And for considering a better way of living for yourself. You asked:
    “How the hell do I shut him out and move on with my life?
    And how do I keep my emotions in control?”

I have cut my mother out of my life at 52 years old. that was two years ago. I wish I did that a long, long time ago. I tried when I was 30 but it was short lived. My intent is that the cut will be for the rest of my life. I cannot express enough how very, very strong my attachment to her STILL feels. It sometimes feels like a raw wound. I cannot tell you how much guilt I experienced deciding to cut her off and to keep it this way for the last two years. At first, when I considered cutting contact with her (again) in 2011, I imagined it would be so liberating, that I will experience so much freedom and happiness. But that was not the case. There were calm moments but also a lot of torture. Eventually at this point, I know it was the right thing. She fed me well. she worked hard. She bought me new clothes and toys etc. AND she was my enemy, not FOR me, but AGAINST me. She had to go if I was to live FOR myself.

How I cut her off- I did it completely. No contact whatsoever.

Unfortunately I internalized her and her voice has been talking to me. I wish it wasn’t so but part of our psyche, the superego in Freudian terms is the intenalized parent/s, and if the parent was abusive… then the superego, part of our psyche takes after the abusive parent. I wish it it wasn’t so, but it is. There are skills to deal with this, to build and strengthen a part of our psyche, an internal manager, that will take good care of us, a part that will stand between our child part and the abusive parent in our heads and take care of the child part compassionately and effectively. I learned some in psychotherapy- CBT with a good dose of minfulness. At this point the superego, the abusive internalized parent, the “internal critic’ is less active in my mind, way less active. What a journey it has been!

My addiction which i still deal with is eating- very painful. Very, very painful. I am making progress although it is oh, so gradual. Which leads me to controlling emotions. You heard of What-we-resist-persists? Well, I learned that feeling what i have been trying not to feel is way, way preferrable to resisting it. It is like the child part, that hurting child part WILL NOT BE IGNORED! She needs to be seen, heard, taken care of. Find a way for your child part to be seen, heard, valued, validated and loved. This is how you … manage your emotions, slowly, with compassion, accepting imperfections, patiently, in small steps. Day after day.

Take good care of yourself!
    anita

Bethany Rosselit
    Participant

Hi Charlie,

Addictions happen when the mind is trying to feel “good” as a substitute for feeling safe. And when the mind feels unsafe, unfortunately, you can’t just walk away from the issues that are causing you to feel that way.

Healing can be a long process, but it will involve looking at the “lessons” you learned from your parents and redefining them. What did you learn about yourself from them? What misunderstandings do you have about yourself? Any thought that doesn’t feel good should be questioned, so that you can redefine it. Here is an article I wrote, regarding that: http://www.onlinetherapyandcoaching.org/blog/2015/6/24/how-to-deal-with-negative-thoughts .

After that, the next step is to understand that your parents did the best they could with the tools that they had, and to ultimately forgive them. Whether you stay in touch with them is your choice, and nobody can make that for you.

You’ve got a long road ahead of you, so be patient with yourself. You made a good first step, by focusing on the emotional issues that were causing your drinking and other habits.

I wish you the best!

Bethany

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Please log in OR register.