fbpx
Menu

16 year old niece keeps stealing my things.

HomeForumsRelationships16 year old niece keeps stealing my things.

New Reply
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Crystal
    Participant

Alright, I’m trying my best to just let karma happen but I am just getting angry. As hard as I try to control it and just chill out … I can’t

I understand it’s just objects that i don’t matter, but this is killing my trust between “family” and I’m hurt obviously from how much I did for her so she wouldn’t get in trouble with her pregnancy tests, edibles in the house, etc

My sisters family moved in , in November.. It was pretty chill the first 3 months , but then I noticed they all started talking so very badly about me and my boyfriend , and more so of me.. I never knew how they felt about me but they do now . I don’t even feel like theyre family anymore. It’s ridiculous. My sisters younger cracked my phone and no one replaced it , no one apologized, whatever… I got over it and tried to center myself and be nice..

But I noticed that my 16 year old niece just talks the most. She accuses me of smoking and that “she smells it” but I’ve quit a long time ago, she just continuously for some reason has something against me.
    I noticed she started using my makeup every day , and I told her a while ago she could use it , but then she started abusing it.. My sister bought her some makeup for a reason… and she still kept on using mine excessively for some reason. So I decided to keep mine in my room .

She’s never given me my clothes back
    About a week ago I bought new earrings that I left in my bathroom and they disappeared.. they were stolen clearly

And today I went into my drawer and into my makeup bag and my 50$ eyeshadow palette was gone. I asked my mom if she had it. I know I didn’t misplace it. I called my friend to see if she had it but she didn’t, I looked every where.. even though I know well it was in my bag the day before yesterday.
    I left my house today and told my boyfriend and he told me to confront her as did other friends but I’m trying to get enough evidence so I could have a valid arguement. I don’t ever like to fight with people. I’m quiet. I feel taken advantage of because I’m kind and known for not saying anything.

I told my dad about it and he said it was my fault for not hiding my things in his room
    I told him that I shouldn’t even be doing that, she just shouldn’t steal period
    and he just called me a baby , and to buy my own things (when I did buy that myself) I’m 20 btw I don’t deserve this bs from my family.
    told me to get over it .
    My mom kind of backed me up though, but whatever.
    My family from the beginning just targets me, blames me, and belittles me to a point where it’s just obvious. I’m not stupid.

I figured I’d wait it out.
    I made sure she heard me looking for it and i askeed my mom and even though my dad yelled at me , I’m sure she heard that i’m upset.

I’ve been waiting for her to talk about it outside of her door (eavesdropping but whatever) , but no luck

I hear a little earlier (i think) was my nephew saying what I thought was
    “sister thats mean just give it back.. ”
    “she ” “she” she”
    and all I heard was her saying ” i dont care ” and her whining

It’s so annoying and difficult trying to be peaceful but dude. That makeup means a lot to me because it was a gift from my boyfriend and he was excited to get that for me.

Will
    Participant

Oh, honey. I just want to hug you. You sound so trapped and helpless.

I think there are things that you could do differently to improve the situation. Heh. Which is not to say I blame you for your niece being a thief (that’s on her obviously) but reading only a little between the lines it seems you may be a little passive agressive about it.

If you have good reason to think your niece has something that belongs to you, confront her. Don’t eavesdrop, don’t talk to everyone else first, get her and her mother in a room together and say there’s something you want to talk about. Try to stay calm and factual. “I think you have this thing. It is mine, and if you have it you should give it back.”

Don’t ever eavesdrop. Nothing useful can be gained from that, it’s drama-generating behaviour. Just don’t. Don’t sit around trying to build a case against her, you’re not going to court. She’s family. You just want your stuff back. If you want a more harmonious relationship with your family, act in a harmonious way.

Second point: acting in a harmonious way and being peaceful does not mean letting people get away with taking and breaking your stuff. What you’re looking for is the space between silence and having a relationship wrecking screaming fit/inquisition. That space is called assertiveness. “I’m not angry, I just don’t think it’s right that you constantly use my make up and I want it to stop. Now tell me what you want.”

Also don’t take cues from your father. Don’t hide your stuff so other people won’t use it. That’s childish. Be the mature one.

I would advise you to read up on assertiveness and non-violent communication, and practice these things. I think it can improve the situation with your family, but more importantly, it will give you important skills you’ll use for the rest of your life.

I hope my message doesn’t make you feel angry or attacked. You’re very young yourself, and you may not have the best examples. It’s perfectly natural that you haven’t learned how best to communicate in these kinds of situations. You haven’t done anything wrong. But doing something different may have good results.

I hope things work out.

Kalley
    Participant

Hi, Crystal!

Your issue really resonates with me. I’m nineteen, and I have an older sister (20) who steals my clothes and three little sisters (16, 14, and 13) who also steal things like makeup, money, and random miscellanious things from me. Also like you, I find myself not knowing how best to handle it, because I don’t like fighting with people. You might even say I’m afraid of confrontation.

What I see here, is you feeling lost. You don’t know what to do. This is your house, your family. You feel disrespected and you’re losing trust fast. The situation sucks. I also see that you’re a genuinely nice person who doesn’t know what to do when she’s being walked all over! So, what’s a common thing for a nice person to do? Resort to passive aggression and hope everyone else will catch on. You’re trying to make your feelings known to your niece by telling your mom, hoping the niece is within earshot. You’re eavesdropping on your niece.

Passive Aggressive tendencies get a bad rep. The person is seen as manipulative, when really all it is, is an attempt to remedy a situation without anger. It’s usually ineffective.

What you need to do, is face your niece or your sister, or even both. If you’re afraid it’s going to end up in an argument or break the family apart, you can write a heartfelt letter. You can tell your niece how it hurts you and makes you feel like your niece doesn’t care about your feelings. You can tell her you understand where she’s coming from, the pressure to have all these cool things that really don’t matter, but being unable to afford them. You can tell her you value your relationship with your niece more than the makeup, so you forgive her, but wish she would show you the respect you deserve by either asking to use your stuff or simply stop taking them.

If that fails, get a lock for your door (not the kind where you can just pop the lock). What’s happening here, is your niece is at that hard age. She’s sixteen. She wants to be accepted and respected by her peers, wants to be popular. So, she takes your things and doesn’t think about how that will affect you. It’s all stuff for her appearance that she’s taking, right? It’s a product of adolescence. Don’t take it personally.

With the door locked and you have the key, she’s going to have to face herself. She won’t be able to keep getting all these cool things to aid herself and her aesthetic anymore. She’s going to have to see that she doesn’t need those things. And, you’ll have essentially put a stop to the behavior without having to do the heavy lifting. There’s nothing more she can do. She will see she can’t tread on you! She’ll have to see what she’s done: pushed you and your patience past the limit.

Best of luck!

Rock Banana
    Participant

Huge fan of the idea of getting a really good lock for your door. That is definitely the way to go.

But of course this isn’t just about preventing this happening again and solving the situation at face value. As you say yourself “it’s just objects that i don’t matter”. Because on a deeper level – as you’re well aware – this is about trust and the relationships you have with your family.

My first advice: Stop trying to be peaceful, trying to control yourself etc. Instead, accept absolutely every feeling that comes up. Meditate. By doing this you will achieve peace but via different means. When you try really hard to be peaceful and calm down you end up becoming more tense because you create a distance between where you are and where you want to be, in your mind. When this distance evaporates (which happens by accepting what IS now – tension and all) this has the effect of you eventually becoming more relaxed, peaceful etc. in the face of whatever you’re experiencing. In other words the frustration, anger, disappointment, negative thinking etc etc…it’s all ok, it’s all fine, allow yourself to experience it. When you really feel all that without blocking it, the acceptance is so healing in and of itself. Note here that accepting the presence of thinking isn’t the same as believing the thinking. In other words, accept thoughts like “she’s a bitch” are there in your mind and don’t need to disappear, but you don’t need to buy into that thought, if that makes sense!

Avoiding confrontation here is not serving you or your family. It may seem like the kind thing to do but it isn’t because this whole situation is creating far more suffering than openness ever would. Just having a real conversation about this with your niece – you don’t need to be rude or blaming, just state your truth and the facts as you see them, that is that you feel hurt and upset and you feel you can’t trust her easily because of this – is so much kinder to all of you. It is so much less horrible to do things this way. I’m not saying she’ll like it. In the short term – that is in the moment of confrontation – she will likely be offended, hurt , angry etc. Humiliated even. Or just denial and not display any of this, acting childishly. What you gotta remember is, it’s not her response that matters but the fact you have at least tried to reconcile things in this way. In the long term though, your relationship may be much better for this short-term discomfort. On the other hand, if she really doesn’t respond well to this at all then maybe it’s time to just accept she’s a 16 year old girl with issues that she’ll hopefully grow out of. Stick that lock on your door, put any possessions you want to keep in that room and be done with it. Maybe in the future when she’s a bit more mature you can feel a bit better about each other. But remember she’s not the only one with issues. You for example have been avoiding confronting her, which in itself could be argued is dysfunctional communication. It’s easy to blame everybody else for what they do, but once you accept you yourself are not so infallible you may find it easier to be compassionate. We all have our problems. I for example can be pretty narcissistic at times. I can be a bit horrible at times. It’s no excuse and we still have full responsibility over our own behaviour, but it’s at least worth bearing in mind when it’s compassion you want to feel.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Please log in OR register.