Forum Replies Created

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • #164936

    Thank you so much for sharing. My Hershey passed away last night and although it hasn’t even been a day yet, I’m a mess. I hate coming home and not seeing her. I couldn’t sleep last night because she normally sleeps in my bed and waking up was even harder when I didn’t see her next to me. I’m angry, sad, heartbroken, and confused. She was a 6-year-old miniature dachshund that we rescued when one of our friends found her in her neighborhood when she was 6 months old. She was 200 blocks away from where her original owners set her free because they didn’t want her. The moment I saw her picture I knew I wanted her and thus began a beautiful friendship. She was my baby and I cared about her so much. I constantly reminded her how she is the most beautiful girl in the world. I don’t know if she knew how happy she made me. She still makes me happy but with the memories come the tears.

    She had congestive heart failure since she was a pup but 2 weeks ago we had an exterminator come and he didn’t give us the correct information about the poison. He claimed that it dries after 15 minutes making it safe for animals. When she got sick my mom started doing research and found out that it takes up to 30 minutes for the poison to dry and become safe for animals. Two weeks ago began the process of giving 5 meds a day and watching her like a hawk, needing to force her to eat and watching get better then get worse. This past Saturday we took her to the emergency clinic and they kept her overnight. I had to make the decision that they will perform CPR if anything were to happen. I was hopeful that come Monday we would be picking up Hershey from the clinic taking her home so that she can continue to get better. On Sunday, I visited her in the clinic 3 times. She was in an oxygen tank and looked so tired. It was heartbreaking. I was lucky enough to be able to pet her and rub her ear right where she likes it one more time. I was hopeful. But come Sunday night I left work early to visit her after I got the call that she wasn’t doing good and would probably not make it pass the night. The whole way home from work I was thinking about whether I wanted them to do CPR on her if anything were to happen. When my family and I finally got to the clinic she collapsed and passed away. I didn’t get the chance to tell them that I did want them to perform CPR. I got to kiss her goodbye and thank her for loving me and allowing me to love her.

    Her heart got so big that she was barely able to breathe. She had liquid in her lungs and her liver was suffering. It’s not for sure that this was because on the poison but I believe it was. I believe that she would still be with us, still with a big heart (cause she loves so much) but I honestly believe that she would be in good spirits here in my bed next to me.

    Thank you for allowing me to share and get the thoughts and emotions out.



Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)