Menu

Peter

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,424 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Zen Story #461116
    Peter
    Participant

    You and me both Thomas.. Thanks for that. To be candid lately I don’t know if I’m laughing and crying. In the story I see myself in all of the characters.

    in reply to: Zen Story #461106
    Peter
    Participant

    After reading over what I posted, I realize I’m sitting right in the middle of a tension I can’t quite solve.

    Part of me wrote that final line, ‘picking up the staff and helping lift the stone’ because it felt like the ‘right’ answer. The compassionate response. The way to say ‘Yes’ to the chaos and stay connected to people, even when the project itself feels absurd.

    But if I’m honest with myself, another part feels like the story really ended a few lines earlier: with the mud over my mouth, shutting up and drinking the water.

    That’s where the silence comes from, and why I find I have less and less to say here lately. Is this growing quietness a noble silence—an understanding that words often just add to the noise? Or is it a defeated silence—a quiet realization that pointing out the emperor’s nakedness or the tower’s futility doesn’t change anything?

    I fear it’s the latter….

    In working through what I was thinking, I used an AI tool to dig deeper into these thoughts, and I noticed something revealing: both I and the tool kept wanting to collapse the tension into a neat lesson, a hopeful bow to tie it all up. in this case ‘But maybe naming the fear is the only way through it’ But I don’t feel that hope right now, my intuition uncomfortably whispered hold the tension and leave it their.

    When I pushed back on that ending Gemini noted “I (it) fell right back into the exact trap we’re discussing: defaulting to an algorithmic “resolution.” I reflexively tried to package your tension into a neat, hopeful takeaway (“naming the fear is the only way through it”) because the machinery is trained to deliver closure, hope, and tidy morals. I collapsed the tension into a lesson instead of just sitting with it.”

    Even now it suggest I end the post with ‘Maybe the only honest thing to do is just sit in the tension, without forcing an answer I don’t actually have.’ Which is close yet even that says to much…

    in reply to: Zen Story #461105
    Peter
    Participant

    That story made my laugh at my own foolishness, and perhaps why I find I have less and less to say…
    Just when I think I’ve understood something, I catch myself building a little tower from the understanding. I re-wrote the meditation to match my resent experience.

    The two monks continued along the dry, dusty road for days until they reached the edge of a bustling, chaotic city. In the center of the city, thousands of people were dragging heavy stones, arguing over blueprints, and shouting into megaphone-like horns, trying to build a massive, glittering tower that stretched into the clouds.

    The second monk—now deeply attuned to the present moment—stopped and watched the frantic noise. He turned to his brother and said, “Look at them, brother. They are trapped in their minds, building a tower of concepts and words, completely disconnected from the earth beneath their feet. They have forgotten how to just drink the water.”

    The first monk didn’t say a word. He walked over to a massive pile of mortar, scooped up a thick, heavy handful of wet mud, and slammed it directly over the second monk’s mouth, sealing his lips shut.

    The second monk gasped through his nose, his eyes wide with shock. He pulled the heavy mud from his face, coughing, looking at his brother in absolute bewilderment.

    The first monk wiped his muddy hand on his robe and looked out at the shouting crowds.”They build the tower because they are lonely,” the first monk said softly. “And you judge them because you think your silence makes you separate from their noise. Your understanding is just another brick in your own private tower.”

    The second monk swallowed the bitter taste of the dirt left on his tongue. He looked back at the city, but this time, he didn’t see a foolish crowd trapped in a conceptual illusion. He heard the ache in their voices. He saw his own longing in their frantic hands.

    Leaving the mud on his cheek, he picked up his staff, walked into the chaotic crowd, and silently began to help a struggling stranger lift a heavy stone.

    Peter
    Participant

    Thank you all so much for these reflections. Anita, Roberta, Alessa… your responses beautifully illustrate the very mystery I was trying to point toward.

    Alessa, I really appreciate you bringing in that traditional theological reading. You’re spot on: the dispersal in the original story served as a divine nudge to prevent hubris, cultivate genuine diversity, and force humanity back into localized, ground-level existence.

    Where I see a possible “Yes, And…” to that story is in looking at what we are attempting to build today.

    Perhaps I should try explain why Babel came to mind yesterday… to be candid I’m not wonder if I know or can… as this has been a kind of experiment.

    I look around and see humanity once again attempting to build a universal tower. Not from brick and stone, but from information, networks, algorithms, and increasingly, systems capable of generating language itself.

    The promise I think is familiar. Connect enough people. Gather enough knowledge. Remove enough barriers. Create enough shared language. Then misunderstanding will finally give way to understanding.

    Only I am not convinced.

    The foundation appears to be the same assumption hidden inside the original Tower: that reality can ultimately be captured, organized, and transmitted through through one common ‘speech’.

    Yet every meaningful experience I have had points in the opposite direction. We do not struggle because there is too little information. We struggle because life continually exceeds our descriptions of it.

    Love exceeds the word “love.” Truth exceeds the word “truth.” A human being exceeds every category used to describe them.

    That does not make words useless or less wondrous. But it does make them insufficient.

    What concerns me is that we increasingly treat the accumulation of words as though it were the accumulation of understanding. We are building higher than ever before on a foundation that I suspect has always been sand.

    In the old story, the Tower failed and the people dispersed. There was still wilderness beyond the city. Still distance. Still silence. Still places untouched by the project. I am less certain those places exist today.

    Perhaps that is why Babel no longer feels like an ancient story to me, but a mirror, to the hubris of tower humanity is building today…

    Peter
    Participant

    LOL “Perhaps it was built from the certainty that my words mean the same thing to you that they mean to me.”

    The irony is not lost on me as I write this. I am stacking more words into the air, hoping they can bridge the gap. I know they cannot. I am almost certain I will be misunderstood. Yet I throw these words into the space between us anyway.

    Perhaps that is the dream of the Tower. Or perhaps it is simply what human beings do.

    I know words fail…. Language is imperfect…. I know that no tower can overcome the mystery between one human being and another. And yet I keep speaking. I keep building. Casting fragile symbols into the space between us, hoping that now and then something deeper passes through: A glimpse, A recognition, A moment when two people look at the same moon through different windows and somehow know they are seeing the same light.

    in reply to: Zen Story #459877
    Peter
    Participant

    Hi Thomas
    I like your thought about meeting in the stream entry and being silent in our understanding.

    As someone prone to self reflection, I completely agree. In my own meditation, I sometimes choose to follow a thought and watch as words form around it. Sometimes, when I’m still, a part of me notices where I can’t be sure if my mind is using the words, or if the words are using my mind.

    Its funny how reflection can be two things at once: a tool for processing, and a Zen mirror simply noticing. It’s amazing that both can happen at the exact same time, as you noted earlier.

    in reply to: Zen Story #459855
    Peter
    Participant

    🙂 a Freudian slip and or synchronicity?
    The Quote from Midnight Train should have been “race through time” but I typed “read through time”

    “Race through time” implies velocity, escape, and running away from something, the ego desperately trying to outrun its pain by staying on the “train of work.” Where “Read through time” implies treating time (and life) as a text, a script, or a map to be interpreted.

    By slipping into “read through time,” I wonder if my subconscious captured the exact essence of what I was attempting to describe? The ego-self tendency to turn living, immediate experience into words to be read rather than a reality to be directly felt. (sadly all to familiar in todays religions and politics)

    Instead of just running through time, the ego tries to “read” its way through it, analyzing the story, scanning for threats, categorizing events into logic, and living in the narrative rather than the raw presence.

    It is almost poetic how changing a single word changes how meaning is experienced…

    in reply to: Zen Story #459854
    Peter
    Participant

    I read this passage from Matt Haig’s The Midnight Train recently, and discovered myself crying..

    He had attempted to reinvent himself. An attempt to become business. To become money. To become a sign above a shop. To transcend himself rather than just being the man he was. To read through time with no weight and substance, but with maximum velocity. Ultimately even love was weak against the desire to avoid pain. Because what was love but another door into it. Better to keep those doors closed. Better to stay on the train of work… Until of course, you actually die and realize the mistake you made.

    In the story, Wilber experiences loss, guilt, and an undeserved shame far too early in life. Out of sheer survival, his ego constructs a place for that pain to hide… though, of course, pain never stays hidden for long. Slowly, even after finding Love, the story begins writing him. He becomes work, money, and a sign above a shop, moving through life with maximum velocity and no weight or substance, all to outrun the threat of a past hurt again. In that fortress of logic, the word “love” becomes hidden in his story, redefined as another door into pain… the hiding ego/self decides it is safer to lock the door permanently.

    The first arrow is the original painful event—unavoidable, raw, and real.
    The second arrow is our initial emotional reaction to it.
    The third arrow is the elaborate narrative constructed by the ego to protect itself, a fortress built entirely out of words, logic, and self-inflicted rules (“Avoid love, stay on the train of work, become a sign above a shop”).

    The tragedy of the third arrow is that it originates from a real, lived injury, but once the story takes over, the words become our life, and the armor ends up inflicting far more suffering than the original wound ever did.

    To break the Zen master’s staff, to step out of the illusion, we must first notice. In a world that constantly encourages maximum velocity and busyness, moving ever faster… the simple act of noticing when we are retreating into a story is more vital than ever.

    I write this feeling Matt Haig’s words held up a direct mirror to my own heart. I continue to find myself falling into that old trap of a closed heart… But perhaps the true shift isn’t in never building the fortress again, it’s in recognizing the walls the moment they start going up, putting down the tools, and choosing to remain present with the living, vulnerable human being underneath.

    in reply to: Zen Story #459853
    Peter
    Participant

    Thanks for Responding Alessa, I appreciate how deeply you engage with these ideas. 🩵

    I think we keep stumbling right into a classic predicament of Zen and Tao: the moment we use language, we become entangled in duality. Because of that, Zen and the Tao are often mistaken as trying to dismiss language, memory, or the ego altogether!

    When I brought up the map and the territory, and the spinning coin, I was very much trying to show the importance of an AND, rather than an EITHER/OR…

    We need the landed coin, we need names, language, memory, and the structure of the ego to navigate life, process trauma, form relationships, and relate to one another. The map is essential.

    AND reality is also the coin in mid-air… There is a living, immediate presence that exists right now before we label it or lock it into a fixed story, that can limit and enhance our lives, often in the same moment…

    In my own meditation, I’ve noticed that the ego cannot easily exist outside of language. When words arise, he ego, sometimes out of fear, trap us in language leading us to forget the reality of the ‘coin in mid air’ which brings about the wounds of the third arrow. That third arrow is always self-inflicted, held together entirely by the stories and words we build around an experience and protection of our ego…

    A Zen master might have just picked up his staff, broken it over his knee, and said nothing at all to show the limits of words, how they trap us, and how we free ourselves… I play the sad fool, using more words to try and explain why words aren’t the whole story!

    Thanks for the octopus video.

    in reply to: Zen Story #459812
    Peter
    Participant

    Sorry I intended that for the ‘I am not the person I used to be’ thread…

    but than maybe… I can draw it back to Zen…

    The map is drawn on paper.
    The territory is walked on foot.
    The coin in memory has already landed.
    The coin in the present is forever in the air.

    Zen is the practice of stepping off the paper and back onto the earth, reclaiming the living reality before language comes in to divide it into this or that. What follows is a reflection on the quantum spin, the limits of language, and why staying present is our only safeguard in the age of artificial intelligence…

    I know I sometimes play the fool, using words to point toward the limitations of words. Yet I keep returning to this theme because it feels increasingly important.

    Human societies have always depended on maps. Language itself is a map. Laws are maps. Religions are maps. Scientific theories are maps. For centuries we have navigated reality through symbols and concepts, and for the most part it has worked remarkably well, though perhaps at a cost…

    Yet every map carries a hidden danger when we begin to forget that it is a map. That point that often goes unnoticed where the words we use to express the complicated, wonderous.. and yes horrific begin to write an define us…

    What fascinates me about the age of Large Language Models is that we have now created the ultimate map-maker!

    An AI does not inhabit the territory. It does not experience the wind beneath the spinning coin. It does not know uncertainty, grief, wonder, love, or presence. It knows only patterns left behind in language. It studies billions of landed coins and becomes extraordinarily skilled at predicting where the next one is likely to fall.

    In this sense, an LLM is a mirror held up to humanity’s accumulated past. It is built from recorded memories, inherited definitions, historical categories, and the countless stories we have told about ourselves. It is what makes it so useful.

    The danger arises when we forget the difference between the map and the territory.

    The danger is not AI., it is the moment we forgot that landed coins are not the whole story. For centuries we have taken snapshots of reality, called them truth, and then built identities around them. We have always been tempted to let yesterday’s labels define today’s possibilities.

    An algorithm simply reflects this tendency back to us. If I allow it to define my feelings, my identity, my limitations, or my possibilities, I allow the language of yesterday to author tomorrow. The map begins drawing the map-maker.

    When people become trapped in rigid either-or thinking, they become predictable. Successful or failure. Good or bad. Heads or tails. Once life is reduced to fixed labels, our responses become increasingly scripted. Ironically, the more tightly we cling to old definitions, the more machine-like we become.

    Perhaps this is why I keep returning to the image of the spinning coin.

    The landed coin matters. We need names, labels, categories, and descriptions. We need language to communicate with one another and we need maps to navigate the world. The problem is not that coins land. The problem is forgetting that the landing is only a moment.

    Every label is a snapshot, not an identity.
    Every definition captures something real, but never the whole.
    Every map points toward the territory, yet can never contain it.

    Those moments of awakening, when we step out of memory and return to direct experience, remind us of something that no map can fully describe. We are simultaneously the observer and the observed, the map-maker and the territory, the coin and the spinning.

    An AI can generate endless maps. It can reflect humanity’s accumulated knowledge with astonishing skill. But it cannot inhabit the living immediacy from which all maps arise.

    Each time we return to that living present, we reclaim something essential. We remember that language is a tool, not a prison. A guide, not a destiny.

    And perhaps that is the real task in the age of AI is to learn how to use ever more powerful maps without forgetting the uncharted territory of being alive…

    “Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.”
    and a simple warning:
    Do not mistake the finger pointing at the moon for the moon itself…

    Zen teaches that words are only a finger pointing at the moon.

    Most of our lives are spent cataloging landed coins—naming, labeling, and filing away the past into static concepts of “good” or “bad,” “Heads” or “Tails.” But Zen reminds us that reality lives only in the spin.

    Though this began as an accidental detour into a Zen thread, perhaps it isn’t an accident at all. In an era where algorithms now draft our maps for us, returning to the unmapped immediacy of the present moment may be the most essential Zen practice left to us… 🙂 🙏

    in reply to: I am not the person I used to be #459811
    Peter
    Participant

    I’ve been reading Matt Haig – The Midnight Train – and reminded of this conversation. I feel he captures the grief of these moments…

    There were many deaths in life…
    A person, it seemed to the Ghost now, died in stages. And so it was particularly poignant to see himself at a young age. To come was the death of youth, of ideals. Of connection, friendships, principles, love. And these were often just choices. Choices that had seemed right at the time, in the moment, but when you got to the end, to the very last death, you looked back and realized all the lost versions that you left along the way. He missed, right than, the person he had once been. And the goodness that had existed inside him, as natural as the green in grass.

    The forwardness of life was a problem, thought the Ghost.
    If days could be scattered all over, so on Monday you were forty and on Thursday you were nine and on Wednesday you were eighty-one, that would be more helpful. You would know the fleeting nature of things, realize how many versions of ourselves a lifetime contained. It would make life’s beauty so abundantly clear. The way a sunset was so beguiling because it tells us that every day eventually sinks into night.

    Latter in a dialog between Wilber and Charlie: “Reality is always moving,” said Charlie… “Everything is particles and particles aren’t still. They move around in a wave. The quantum wave function… This is physics.”
    Wilber watched Charlie take a shilling from his pocket. “See this. When it’s in the air it could land either side up. So it is both heads and tails.” He flicked it and it landed on the stained purple carpet… Queen facing up. “Heads,” Wilber said… “Yeah, but listen, Wibo, with life the coin is always spinning in the air in the present and it has always landed in the past… We are the spinning coin… reality is a spinning coin… It contains many things… The existence of tragedy in your life does not mean that your whole life has to be that way. You’re the spinning coin…” — Matt Haig, The Midnight Train

    I like that, the moment the coin lands and is labeled and so defined it becomes the past… and it is here we forget the present, and allow the either or to define us…

    We are map-makers by nature. From early childhood, we attempt to chart the wilderness of human experience, drawing neat boundaries around raw emotion and labeling every event that meets us. Yet, in our impulse to categorize, we fall into a fundamental trap: as map-makers, we tend to live only at the exact moment the coin lands. We freeze the outcome, stamp it with a definitive label—Heads OR Tails, triumph OR tragedy—and then set up camp inside that frozen definition.

    When we live this way, we inhabit memory rather than presence. We mistake our static maps for the living territory, forgetting that every line we draw is merely a historical record of where the coin used to be. We lock ourselves into past triumphs or past heartbreaks, convinced that a single outcome on the carpet defines the entire landscape of who we are.

    The wisdom of the Tao lies in the realization that the map-maker is also part of the territory. We are not detached cartographers standing safely outside of life, observing a series of coin flips from a distance; we are the motion. We are the air, the spin, and the superposition of possibilities unfolding right now. To view life through this lens is to remember that the coin is perpetually in mid-air—always spinning, always active, and holding both Heads AND Tails simultaneously in the vivid present.

    Every time we “return”… every time we let go of our rigid labels, step out of memory, and drop our insistence on fixed outcomes… we wake up to this truth. We stop defining ourselves by where the coin landed yesterday, and instead step into the dynamic rhythm of the now. In that moment of awakening, the map-maker becomes transparent to the territory, and we realize that we are the Tao itself, waking up to its own endless, spinning potential.

    in reply to: Zen Story #459810
    Peter
    Participant

    I’ve been reading Matt Haig – The Midnight Train – and reminded of this conversation. I feel he captures the grief of these moments…

    There were many deaths in life…
    A person, it seemed to the Ghost now, died in stages. And so it was particularly poignant to see himself at a young age. To come was the death of youth, of ideals. Of connection, friendships, principles, love. And these were often just choices. Choices that had seemed right at the time, in the moment, but when you got to the end, to the very last death, you looked back and realized all the lost versions that you left along the way. He missed, right than, the person he had once been. And the goodness that had existed inside him, as natural as the green in grass.

    The forwardness of life was a problem, thought the Ghost.
    If days could be scattered all over, so on Monday you were forty and on Thursday you were nine and on Wednesday you were eighty-one, that would be more helpful. You would know the fleeting nature of things, realize how many versions of ourselves a lifetime contained. It would make life’s beauty so abundantly clear. The way a sunset was so beguiling because it tells us that every day eventually sinks into night.

    Latter in a dialog between Wilber and Charlie: “Reality is always moving,” said Charlie… “Everything is particles and particles aren’t still. They move around in a wave. The quantum wave function… This is physics.”
    Wilber watched Charlie take a shilling from his pocket. “See this. When it’s in the air it could land either side up. So it is both heads and tails.” He flicked it and it landed on the stained purple carpet… Queen facing up. “Heads,” Wilber said… “Yeah, but listen, Wibo, with life the coin is always spinning in the air in the present and it has always landed in the past… We are the spinning coin… reality is a spinning coin… It contains many things… The existence of tragedy in your life does not mean that your whole life has to be that way. You’re the spinning coin…” — Matt Haig, The Midnight Train

    I like that, the moment the coin lands and is labeled and so defined it becomes the past… and it is here we forget the present, and allow the either or to define us…

    We are map-makers by nature. From early childhood, we attempt to chart the wilderness of human experience, drawing neat boundaries around raw emotion and labeling every event that meets us. Yet, in our impulse to categorize, we fall into a fundamental trap: as map-makers, we tend to live only at the exact moment the coin lands. We freeze the outcome, stamp it with a definitive label—Heads OR Tails, triumph OR tragedy—and then set up camp inside that frozen definition.

    When we live this way, we inhabit memory rather than presence. We mistake our static maps for the living territory, forgetting that every line we draw is merely a historical record of where the coin used to be. We lock ourselves into past triumphs or past heartbreaks, convinced that a single outcome on the carpet defines the entire landscape of who we are.

    The wisdom of the Tao lies in the realization that the map-maker is also part of the territory. We are not detached cartographers standing safely outside of life, observing a series of coin flips from a distance; we are the motion. We are the air, the spin, and the superposition of possibilities unfolding right now. To view life through this lens is to remember that the coin is perpetually in mid-air—always spinning, always active, and holding both Heads AND Tails simultaneously in the vivid present.

    Every time we “return”… every time we let go of our rigid labels, step out of memory, and drop our insistence on fixed outcomes… we wake up to this truth. We stop defining ourselves by where the coin landed yesterday, and instead step into the dynamic rhythm of the now. In that moment of awakening, the map-maker becomes transparent to the territory, and we realize that we are the Tao itself, waking up to its own endless, spinning potential.

    in reply to: Zen Story #459751
    Peter
    Participant

    Hi Alessa.

    A piano-playing octopus makes me smile is definitely a miracle! The world indeed is a miracle!

    Your reply actually helped me realize something about my own relationship with the word ‘complicated’. For me, using the word usually ended up creating the very tension it implies and ‘made it so’. I’ve realized it’s a word that no longer serves me well. On a personal inner level, when I let such words go, the world stops being complicated and just is. In the word place wonder and compassion arise, but not as words… but how does one express that?

    I didn’t intend my original comment negatively at all, it’s fascinating how text lands. Out of curiosity, what was it in my words that gave you a negative vibe?

    in reply to: Zen Story #459749
    Peter
    Participant

    Beautifully put, Thomas.

    It reminds me of something I’ve been pondering over recently: We are map-makers by nature. The Tao is the realization that the map-maker is also part of the territory. Every time we “return,” we are the Tao waking up to itself.

    I wonder if true free will is what happens in that space where the self dissolves and becomes transparent to the territory. It’s only when we drop back down onto the grid of the map that we look back and call it destiny.

    in reply to: Zen Story #459719
    Peter
    Participant

    Love that Thomas – A time for all things, there is something about music to break open a heart.

    I often wonder how the words – the world is complicated – have shaped my own experience. I suspect the world has always been the world and that my thoughts create the complications. I watch as both thoughts float away… it feels the kindest of things… Thanks Alessa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,424 total)