fbpx
Menu

25 and Confused

HomeForumsRelationships25 and Confused

New Reply
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    IslandGirl17
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I’ve been a fan of this website for some time, and just found this forum section last week. I’m hoping someone can help me out before I seek counselling.

I’m 25-years-old and my boyfriend and I have been together for 6-years this year. Despite me being with my previous partner from 16 – 21, it was very abusive (mentally) and controlling. As soon as I left that relationship I jumped into a new one with my current boyfriend, and I think this is where a lot of our current issues stem from. I never took the time to ‘heal’ and really get over my ex – I used my new relationship to do that. I soon after realised that I was not over him, when I would still call him behind my boyfriend’s back, send him cheeky pictures and think of him. It devastated me when I found out he had a new girlfriend and watching the way he treated her (which appears to be better than how he treated me) really hurt me.

When my current boyfriend found out about me sending pictures to my ex and talking to him behind his back – the trust was lost. He then cheated on me with a woman, and when I found out, I wanted to revenge because I was so hurt, that I did it back to him. It was tit-for-tat for 8 +months. I found out about girls he was seeing, and sleeping with and he found out about a man who was 20+ years older than me that I was seeing/sleeping with. It was only until last year when he got into a really bad bike accident which nearly took his life, we became very close again and allowed us to build are relationship back up as I was 100% selfless, and catered to him. I cooked for him, took him for drives, clean his road rash everyday and bathed him. We were happy.

Now, we’re back in a space where we don’t trust each other again. My best friend is a single gay guy, and so often times I’m his ‘wingman’ when he’s out. He hangs around straight guys most times, and recently I started hanging out with the group of 4 straight guys + my gay friend. My boyfriend has a problem with this. He asks me all the time if any of the guys like me, and I always reply “probably…but it doesn’t matter because I don’t like them”. We have great times out together and really know how to party. But even just being friends – it’s a problem. He always think’s I’m sleeping around. Even in university he thought my male mates were guys I liked, and wanted to sleep with. Point is, HE DOES NOT LIKE ME AROUND GUYS.

Over the years, I started lying to him about who I was hanging out with because if I told him it was guys he would automatically assume that I liked one of them (which is not the case). But this has ruined our trust again because when he finds out that I lied about who I was with, it does make me look suspicious. He has created a space in our relationship where I don’t feel comfortable about telling him the truth. When I’m honest he jumps down my throat, and accuses me still. When I lie – it’s the same thing.

I really don’t know what to do anymore. We’ve both been through so much but I’m tired of being in a relationship where I have to be okay with him doing things that he jumps down my throat for. I want to be honest with him about everything but not like this….

• This topic was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by IslandGirl17.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by IslandGirl17.
    Anonymous

Dear IsandGirl17:

Are you willing to consider not spending time partying in the company of other men (“We have great times out together and really know how to party”)?

I am not suggesting that you should. Instead, I am inquiring about your willingness- or lack of- to accommodate your boyfriend in this regard.

anita

IslandGirl17
    Participant

Hi Anita -thanks for your response. I have definitely considered it, and even stopped hanging around them for sometime. It was only yesterday that we all were around each other again to celebrate a mutual friend’s birthday.

My point is, it’s with any guy I associate myself with. Whether it’s work colleague, a friend, a friends-friend: he’s jealous! I don’t want to lie about who I’m around when I’m out, but I do it to avoid arguments.

Anonymous

Dear IslandGirl17:

Lying to him is definitely not a good solution. Since you are willing to accommodate him, at least partially, have a serious conversation with him: let him know that you are willing to accommodate him, at least partly. Then negotiate and come to agreed-upon accommodations: for example, you can decide in such negotiation, that before you commit to spending time with other guys, call him and let him know of the circumstance, get his feel about it and decide then, in conversation with him (or a few), following his input.

The two of you can come to some understandings, solutions that will work for you and for him. Get his input and talk back and forth. He will feel more powerful (not powerless and helpless as he does now, which causes him anxiety and excessive concern about you spending time with guys, and he is likely to relax) and you will be able to be truthful, to yourself and to him.

anita

sage
    Participant

This is completely personal but I think relationships do require sacrifices. Extreme jealousy is definitely not healthy, but maybe find a neutral space with your boyfriend. Say, “I’ll trade the partying with them for the occasional coffee hang outs and I’ll dedicate a weekly date night to you to make you feel special.” Something that will help find common ground that doesn’t require you not having fun and him being sick with jealousy.

Just an opinion from experience. Best of luck!!

Sage

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Please log in OR register.