fbpx
Menu

28 years old, Just finished uni, moving away from home.

HomeForumsWork28 years old, Just finished uni, moving away from home.

New Reply
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    TwoWhales
    Participant

Hi there,

Bare with me, as I’m writing this spontaneously. A little backstory, I’m a 28-year-old man who has just graduated uni after a 4-year course in computer gaming technology. I got excellent results and a commendation from the dean, but what im lacking is experience in the field I studied. I’m about to move to New Zealand from England with my partner. Looking for jobs today has not been an enjoyable experience. I’m worried I’m never going to be able to use this degree as I’m 28 years old now, and I don’t have any experience in the field. I have seven years of management experience in the sport and leisure industry, but none in technology. Basically, my question or my quest for reissurance is, will the lack of experience to go along with my degree hamper my hopes on finding a job relevant? Should I look into volunteering (Can’t afford to do that full time) and try and get a job in the industry I’m used to in the meantime? I just worry the way my work history looks is, is settled in a job early on, and stayed until I was 25, then went to uni for 4 years in something completely different, and now what….

Sorry if this post is a bit wordy, and nonrelveant to this forum, I just found this website and really connected with some of the advice that was being given so thought id share my current woes.

Anonymous

Dear TwoWhales:

It has always been a problem for people looking for employment in almost any field except for the most menial: lack of experience. How is one to gain experience if all the jobs require pre-existing experience? is the difficult, yet not surprising question since so many have asked this before you, way before gaming was an available university degree and employment.

Part time volunteering reads like a good idea, something you can do while working in a field with which you do have experience. Prepare for the long process it will take for you to finally make any money in computer gaming technology. You can join online communications with other people in your position, but be cautious to not take what others share as The Truth. I am not referring here to people lying, but to people not being aware of everything and jumping to conclusions of what works and what doesn’t.

Moving to New Zealand, it may work very well for you and your partner, but it will not always be easy of course. Make the best of the experience by planning and preparing best you can, with your partner, planning for different possibilities and seeing to it that your relationship is strong enough to make it likely for the two of you to make the move a successful one.

anita

Prash
    Participant

Dear TwoWhales,

Excellent results and a commendation is a good place to start from. Your decision to start a university degree after a period of work and your excellent results in the new degree seems to reflect your passion in your chosen field; that seems to be somewhere where your heart is.

Show your passion to your prospective employers. don’t let your worries cloud it. Experience will come and you will be able to use the degree.

Best wishes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Please log in OR register.