fbpx
Menu

3 months later, in a better place but not really…

HomeForumsRelationships3 months later, in a better place but not really…

New Reply
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rennie
    Participant

Just over 3 months ago my husband left me, and I discovered he had been having an affair. A lot has happened since then; he’s done a huge turn around in his behaviour, completely cut off contact with OW shortly after our separation, and is seeming to have come out of the fog. He still lives in an apartment, and will do so until we decide what the future holds. He is full of self-loathing and regret for what he’s done to me and the children, and wishes he could take it back, but knows he can’t. We talk a lot. I have told him that he needs to move beyond what he did, because regrets will keep us stuck. I can’t watch him keep beating himself up, and it seems he understands. We have both had individual counselling, which seems to really have helped us both, and started couples counselling. After 22 years together, I do not feel right walking away without trying. This man was my best friend for much of it, and as I look back, it was the last 2 years where we were both extremely unhappy and unplugged from each other. We became very child centred and forgot to nurture our relationship. I told him if it weren’t for the fact that I seem to have a stronger moral compass, it could have been me who went outside the marriage. Not that it dismisses his actions, but I do know that I have my share of responsibility for the breakdown of our marriage, while he 100% owns the affair. He knows he should have talked to me. He listens what I say, and never attempts to defend his actions, or blame me in any way. There is so much more to it, but bottom line is we have been spending time together, talking on a level that is so much deeper than we ever have, because what is left to lose? Most days, I see how we can possibly rebuild and move forward. Other days, I am scared I never will feel the trust I had in him again. He was my rock, or so I thought, and he betrayed me in a way I have never been before. I am trying to go one day at a time, but I just want it all back to where it was when we loved and respected each other. I guess my problem is really that I like to know my future, even though none of us really can, but we can guess the bones of it. I don’t know where my life is going, and the pressure knowing that my children would love an intact family, and I want my husband back, is stressing me out because I don’t know if I am being realistic. I hope this makes sense. I really am not dwelling on the affair that much although of course it’s still early and it hurts to think about, but I’ve asked the questions, gotten the answers, and I am trying to look at the big picture of what got us to that point, and correct it. I feel like I’m somewhat emotionally distant at times, because to expose myself completely again sets me up for rejection. Wasn’t that the person he betrayed in the first place? I know I had been extremely negative in the past, because I was so unhappy, but I need someone to listen to me when I have a bad day. He often asks how my day was, and I’m vague because I don’t want to sound like I’m complaining. I’m not sure what I’m asking, but I guess I was wondering if anyone else has been working on reconciliation, or has words of encouragement? It would be so much easier to pull the plug, because working on it is hard, and I’m so scared it will never be ok again. I love him, but it’s not the same, because I’m hurt and trying to heal. I just wish I could fast track it.

Anonymous

Dear Rennie:

Your post is very clear to me except for: ” Wasn’t that the person he betrayed in the first place? I know I had been extremely negative in the past…I don’t want to sound like I’m complaining.” Do you mean that before his affair he didn’t listen to you when you had a bad day? Or after the affair…not clear.

Otherwise, sounds very positive: him taking full responsibility, the fact, as I understand it, that it was a short affair, one affair after years of interpersonal neglect; the fact that the two of you had individual counseling and have started couple therapy. You read like a reasonable woman.

I understand wanting to “fast track it”- it is difficult and unpleasant and you wish this was not your life now. But it is.

Of course, it is your choice: to end the marriage or resurrect it. The exciting part about the second option is that it is possible for you to have a better than ever relationship with him as a result of this crisis. Possible, if you do work on the marriage every day from now on. And by “work” I mean an enjoyable, engaging kind of work, like interesting conversations, further insight, life being more interesting than ever in the context of your marriage.

In couple therapy, I hope it is not going to be about getting-along only but about something new, a meaning you and him can find in your union- something to motivate you and him individually and together to achieve a better quality of life.

For me a better quality of life is learning more and more about me and other people- it is fascinating. And for me it started in couple therapy five years ago. I learned that a good relationship is necessary for the two individuals healing from past injuries.

Hope you post again.

anita

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Please log in OR register.