Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
AlessaParticipantHi Everyone
I think I have a different perspective because I’ve rarely been told to get over something. It just isn’t a trigger for me.
When I am told it, it doesn’t have a lasting impact.
One instance that comes to mind when I think about it… People have bizarrely strong opinions about childbirth. Knowing that I had been assaulted, there were a couple of people who thought I should get on with a normal delivery and deal with a doctor shoving their hands up my chuff for ages (pardon my French). I chose a c-section because I didn’t want to deal with the PTSD during labour or after birth. So much about being pregnant or raising children is subject to other people’s opinions.
I feel like it’s important to take ownership of our own choices and use our own judgement.
I’m deeply sorry to hear that your Mother blamed you for her suicidal ideation Anita. That is horrifically traumatic for a child to experience. <3
I feel like criticism can often be rooted in other people feeling hurt. When I think about other people being hurt and connect to that, it hurts less. I believe that being there for each other, holding space for each other’s pain is important.
I feel content with having few, but meaningful connections. I can understand the need to connect with others though. I enjoy having meaningful conversations. š
I couldn’t have put the misunderstandings of letting go any better myself, Peter! <3
May 17, 2025 at 4:58 am in reply to: The Betrayal We Buried: Healing Through Truth & Connection #445834
AlessaParticipantHi Anita
I really appreciate your thoughtfulness. Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary contributing to TinyBuddha! <3
I think you already do make a difference and perhaps you aren’t giving yourself enough credit. How many new people do you think you talk to here in a week?
Even one or two a week (on a slow week), over 10 years it adds up. 52 X 10 X 2 = 1,040
I think that being there for over a thousand people is an incredible achievement, so don’t sell yourself short or think that what you do doesn’t matter, because it does. <3
May 17, 2025 at 4:14 am in reply to: I’m married and feeling guilty over an interaction with another man #445832
AlessaParticipantHi Heather
No worries š
You clearly care about your loved ones a lot. I think it can be natural to worry about people or things you care about. ā¤ļø
Sometimes it helps me to reframe anxiety by seeing the positive place it can come from. An expression of love.
What do you think?
May 16, 2025 at 7:08 am in reply to: I’m married and feeling guilty over an interaction with another man #445815
AlessaParticipantHi Heather
It sounds like being loyal to your partner is very important to you (even when you are drunk). A conversation is perfectly fine, it doesnāt sound like anything inappropriate happened. š
Do you have any tendencies to worry about other things?
AlessaParticipantHi Michelle
Wow that was such a beautiful poem. It moved me to tears. š Thank you for sharing such a wonderful tribute. š
Congratulations on your engagement!
Your love for your dog is so evident and the bond between you so special. ā¤ļø
I am in a similar situation to you. My 10 year old dog has a non-operable tumour. His sister passed suddenly last year with an inoperable tumour too. It is never easy losing pets, they truly are part of the family. What helped me was thinking about what they would want.
The situation with my boy started when we were on holiday. It was very traumatic for all of us. It was hard being away from him and not being able to immediately go to him. Fortunately, it happened near the end of the trip. Still having to wait for a couple of days was hard.
The tumour had caused his bowels to die. They cut out the part of the bowels affected which stabilised him, but had to leave the tumour. Fortunately, he is with us for a little longer. He is getting to the point where his pain is increasing. We tried some arthritis medication but it didn’t work well enough. Now he is moving onto gabapentin which my Mumās dog had at the end of his life when he struggled with pain and cancer.
I don’t want to travel until he passes incase something similar happens and he passes without me.
I don’t want him to suffer. I think it will be obvious to me when he is ready to go.
May 15, 2025 at 1:40 pm in reply to: The Betrayal We Buried: Healing Through Truth & Connection #445767
AlessaParticipantHi Anita
Thank you for your kind words! ā¤ļø
It was not easy for me to reflect on the difficulties with my biological mother. Not the worst, but still not easy.
I think it is just the nature of being a mother. I used to have more time to give to my emotions. All I can really do is try to squeeze in holding space for them here and there.
Apologies I’m falling asleep. I will have to write to you properly another time.
May 14, 2025 at 4:18 pm in reply to: The Betrayal We Buried: Healing Through Truth & Connection #445740
AlessaParticipantHi Anita
Iām glad that you were able to reconnect with that love you felt for your Mother. It is beautiful the way you are creating trust in your life and honouring your own needs. ā¤ļø
I don’t think I ever loved my Mother. I had the instinctual bond, but I wouldn’t call it love. I needed a caregiver to meet my needs. When I was younger I knew something was wrong because I was unhappy, but I didn’t understand why. It was something I couldn’t quite put my finger on. I didn’t understand what was happening to me and it was all I knew. It was just how life was. As I got older I started to understand and I was horrified. This is when the hatred formed.
I don’t really think about my mother much. I don’t hate her like I used to. But the pain echoes in me. I feel indifferent about her. I prayed for her to heal and for protection on her journey. That is as far as these things go for me.
It is complicated. There are many parts of me. I don’t tend to focus on the younger ones. I don’t take my emotions too seriously. I lean towards goals.
I feel like being true to myself and my needs are complicated too. For one, I have multiple perspectives and I have to choose one path to act on. Not every part of me is aligned. I feel a need for self-control because left to my emotions I don’t make good choices for myself. If I avoided everything I wanted to. I’d be back at square one. There are parts of me that are harsh on myself. I’m discovering that sometimes my mind hides the truth behind negative thoughts.
May 13, 2025 at 4:47 am in reply to: The Betrayal We Buried: Healing Through Truth & Connection #445694
AlessaParticipantHi Anita
Thank you, it is very kind of you to say. š
Very true, I agree. Stay true to yourself! You are the expert in your own needs. ā¤ļø
Iām not sure, I can only speak for myself. Well for me, my instinctive bond with my biological mother was damaged to the point that I no longer felt it towards her. I learned to not come to her for any reason and avoid her as much as possible. As a young teen, I began to hate her.
I looked for that bond in other people. Still do really. It left a painful longing that got more easy to bear over time, yet never went away.
I donāt know how to heal it, that is why I was asking. I wonder if you have any thoughts about it? I suspect it is a combination of having a reliable strong social network and being able to meet our own needs. But who knows. For a long time I couldnāt even identify what was causing the pain. It wasnāt until you started talking about your bond with your mother that I understood what had happened with my bond. Maybe it will be helpful actually understanding where that pain comes from.
Iām glad, please let me know if that ever changes. I really value your insight and perspective too! ā¤ļø
AlessaParticipantHi Suzanne
How are you doing?
That makes sense it would hurt that she is much younger than you. Perhaps you are questioning your attractiveness? Your body has given you your wonderful daughter, please donāt judge it harshly. I hope that she spoiled you on Motherās Day? ā¤ļø
Iām glad that you have your support network gathering around you and that youāre seeking legal advise. You deserve this love, support and protection in these difficult circumstances.
I quite enjoy people who wear their hearts on their sleeves. š I feel like people who donāt are just uncomfortable with emotions. Please donāt blame or judge yourself.
AlessaParticipantHi Anita
Bless your soul! It is very kind of you to think of me on Motherās Day. Thank you! ā¤ļø
AlessaParticipantHi Anita
I think this is a really complicated and nuanced subject to talk about. I do agree with you about the difficulties with severe trauma.
I think that with anything, these things should be taken with a pinch of salt. The only freedom from suffering is to become a Buddha.
Everyone is different and has different experiences. Some people do have experiences of letting go in different ways. I donāt mean this in a bad way, so please bear with me. I truly believe that people donāt mean this in a bad way. They are just communicating what has helped them. I do understand that it can be hurtful and frustrating because it is not as easy as it sounds to do. Much easier to say the words than go through the difficult process of doing it. A journey which it seems to me you are on by the way.
Iām going to share some of my own experiences to show what these have looked like for me.
After many years of therapy and specifically prolongued exposure therapy I felt absolutely drained. Intense therapy isnāt easy for me and I was non-functioning going through it. It did stop the flashbacks spontaneously occurring. I just needed to take a break after it and not focus so much on the past to function better in my day to day.At my worst I would have emotional meltdowns. Crying spells for hours. And the thoughts would cycle. With a chronic pain condition that worsens with stress I was in agony. I had been practicing meditation during the times where I was more relaxed and I managed to quiet my thoughts in meditation. I thought, if I can do it in meditation. Perhaps I can do it outside of meditation. I was in a ton of pain and in the middle of a melt down. I literally thought to myself I canāt do this anymore. It is destroying me. STOP! And it did. It took practice to be able to do this consistently. It is very hard to let go of painful emotions.
Emotional meltdowns served a purpose for me. A child uses them to communicate and get attention. I figured out that simply asking for a hug is a better way to get comfort than crying.
In the past, my identity revolved around my conditions physical and mental. It was scary to realise that I had no identity outside of that. Who would I be without it? What if I tried and failed? There is nowhere to hide then. In time, I came to learn that there are many other parts of me and that fear was limiting my autonomy.
Letting go – the book. Allowing emotions to be without keeping the cycle going or repressing them. Letting them move freely and without attachment would be more accurate. This involves facing emotional blocks to letting go.
I will add that a baby when faced with what is distressing it will continue to cry even when comforted. Removing the baby from the stimulus and distracting the baby, due to their short attention span is far more effective.
Conflict for me has a specific role. Hearing the pain that other people express. Being respectful and gentle in communication, no matter what and expressing support even when Iām hurt.
I hope that it helps to see that letting go has many meanings and understanding that it is not a simple or easy process.
Iām sorry that people saying these things has hurt you. I hope that you donāt judge yourself about your own experiences. ā¤ļø
I feel like many times people are uncomfortable with vulnerability, especially when it comes to perceiving the person as suffering. People donāt know what to say and donāt phrase these things very well. Ultimately, they just wish the person wasnāt suffering. Not such a bad wish really.
May 12, 2025 at 1:48 pm in reply to: The Betrayal We Buried: Healing Through Truth & Connection #445660
AlessaParticipant*important
May 12, 2025 at 1:48 pm in reply to: The Betrayal We Buried: Healing Through Truth & Connection #445659
AlessaParticipantHi Anita
Thank you! I like you too. š I appreciate the sentiment. I just approach things from a different perspective. Iām not an island. I see other peopleās needs as equal to my own. That doesnāt mean anything bad about your perspective though. Each has its merits, but it is importance to focus on what helps you.
After reflecting on fear of rejection, I came to the conclusion that it exists because I reject myself.
I think youāre doing a really good job of being your own biggest supporter. ā¤ļø Youāre doing some great work on validating your needs. Itās pretty amazing to see. I need to do some more work on that myself.
Iāve been thinking more about this bond you mentioned. Needing your mother as a child. Something struck me as important about it. I wondered what happens to this bond as we grow older. What effect does trauma have on it? How do we heal from it?
Feel free to let me know if thereās anything I can do differently when communicating with you. I donāt want to take away from your experience. ā¤ļø
It is lovely to see you explore and celebrate your autonomy!
AlessaParticipantHi Suzanne
How are you doing?
Iām so sorry to hear that your husband of 30 years has left you. I canāt imagine how difficult that must be. It seems like your world has been turned upside down. I donāt think youāre pathetic for loving him or wanting him back. It is a massive shock and will take time for you to process. If there is anything else that you would like to share, please do. ā¤ļø
I would encourage you to contact a lawyer and try to get your side of things squared away. They would know best what to advise. You deserve to be protected as much as possible in this difficult time. To be clear, Iām not suggesting you rush through with a separation. I just want your assets to be protected. They will have advise specifically about that.
You deserve to be protected as much as possible. This is hard enough, without being blindsided any further. You matter! ā¤ļø
AlessaParticipantHi Bella
Congratulations on moving into your first home! You clearly have a lot of compassion for your relatives. I think that is a beautiful thing. ā¤ļø
It might be for the best that this happened now, before you are moved in with your mom. I expect that your mom would allow your aunt to visit frequently. It could be quite stressful for you. While you are living in your own place, you get to decide what stress you allow into your home. Something to think about.
It isnāt your fault that your aunt is behaving in this way.
It sounds like your family is rather close. Has your aunt given her opinion which she seems to be upset that she wasnāt asked for yet?
-
AuthorPosts

