fbpx
Menu

24 going on 25 and never been in a serious relationship

HomeForumsRelationships24 going on 25 and never been in a serious relationship

New Reply
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Thoughtfullearning
    Participant

Hi all!

Posting to different topics today. I am going off another topic below except I have gone on dates here and there and been with guys for 1-3 months but nothing more. I feel like I am really immature in relationships in general. I have a hard time keeping friendships/making friends. I have been told previously that people come in and out of our lives for reasons. But I have never been able to last with multiple friendships for more then a couple years. for example my best friend and I just broke apart recently and she was my longest standing friend of 3 1/2 years. I am just afraid of how this trickles down into romantic relationships for me. I believe that a partnership should be based on a best friendship and then the romantic/love comes naturally. I feel as though I am open to new people, I just don’t know how or where to attract them. I can be very socially awkward in groups (introverted) but am great with people one on one, but then I meet folks like that and I am not invited to their group things because I am awkward and don’t talk, or the friendship doesn’t carry on. I am confused of where to start, I don’t want to be alone anymore. I yearn for a partner to have fun with or just girl friendships but I don’t know where to start going on 24- a lot of people in their 20s / my age bracket are turned off when they realize I don’t have friends. Help!

Thank you!

Adam P
    Participant

Hey there thoughtful,

First off don’t worry. I too am in my mid twenties and have never been in a healthy fully functioning relationship, disregarding toxic interactions. But I have come to a point in my life that I was/ am responsible for the lack of relationships, but as well give thanks to God/life that those people are no longer in my life. Recently over the past four years my life has become much more magical and my first priority in my life is to leave my legacy. So yes, aside from family, friends/relationships will come and go. I have faith that only the best people will surround me. Don’t worry about what’s going on with your peers and their relationships. Remember they are showing only the good times. Many still have no idea who they are and are “clueless” in relationships and marriages. Take this time as a learning tool to work on yourself so that you stand out from the rest. All the best.

Thank you & take care.

Anonymous

Dear Thoughtfullearning:

I like your user name and, from the post above: “I believe that a partnership should be based on a best friendship and then the romantic/love comes naturally.”

Learn who the person is, thoughtfully learn before getting invested emotionally. Most people, I think, are not that thoughtful or patient. Lots of people want what feels good right here and right now. So you want to develop a friendship and a romantic relationship slowly, in one to one interactions, your comfort zone. Most people you meet and will meet will not qualify as friend or romantic partner material because most are not as thoughtful as you are.

Be open to numbers: to meeting as many people as possible. Out of so many, a few may qualify.

When a person has lots of friends and some for a very long time, it may be a case where the person is very easy going, able to peacefully interact with almost anyone as a friend. You are not so easy going, are you? (I am not). If so, honor yourself and respect your need to be selective. Go with numbers, is my advice, someone will survive the process of your selection.

anita

Thoughtfullearning
    Participant

Adam and Anita,

Thank you both for your response. Means a lot to me.

Anita, you are right…. I am highly selective in whom I stay friends with but I’d like to be more open to meeting more people…. Something that I have sometimes shy’d away from because most initially don’t fit into my friend criteria which is fine but I want to be less judge mental and allow myself more time to get to know them better. I actually do struggle wth the patients of getting to know someone friendship wise before wanting to jump head first into it.
    I also struggle with maintain friendships- is it because they don’t fit with who I am that I don’t care to put the effort in?
    Please advise, or offer your opinion. Is there ways I can teach myself to be more patient or open with meeting new people instead of writing them off directly?

Also Anita I am interested in your opinion on the other post I wrote yesterday. I apologize for it being such a long drawn out story but it is cathartic in a way to release all of that information and write it out even if it’s in a very public place. I was hoping to get a response from you directly as I really appreciate your approach and responses to other posts and my posts in the past. Maybe we can directly message if possible?

Thank you so much

Anonymous

Dear Thoughtfullearning:

I will read and reply to your other post in the next couple of hours.

As far as messaging directly, I did so in the far away past with a few people here on tiny buddha but it didn’t work well. I decided months ago, therefore, not to do so again. Also, as we communicate here, it is possible for other people who read our communication to benefit from it. This too is important to me.

Regarding how to teach yourself to be more patient with others, less judgmental so that you are open and willing to learn more about them, my answer is this: when a person annoys you, when a person says or does something that makes you disgusted with them, think: what is it in what they said and did that annoys or disgusts you so? For example, i was often annoyed and disgusted when I saw a person behaving fearfully, fearing other people and hurrying to avoid their rage, being submissive to others. When I thought about what it is that annoys me so much about this behavior, i realized that I myself behaved that way and hated it about myself. I found out that it made me angry to be afraid of people and act submissively so to avoid their anger.

When I realized that, the next time I observed the person behaving that way, I felt empathy for that person, or at the least, I was open to consider empathy for that person. We often hate seeing in others what we hate in our own selves.

anita

Thoughtfullearning
    Participant

Hi all,

I wanted to keep this conversation going but in a bit of a different direction.

I am struggling a lot at the moment with making friends, not necessarily in my work place but outside of it. I work an hour from where I live and most of the people live in that town (I have chosen not to live in that town specifically because it is to small/tight knit but instead I live in the next town over which offers a more variety of people), I have tried hanging out with people who live there but I find it difficult because of the distance and some of them have been flaky. I would like to make more friends around where I live, I guess it does pose the answer- well isn’t hard to meet people when you don’t work there. I use to live and work in this town previously and I still found it difficult to make friends, my other job isn’t a forever deal….it is just to get me going career wise. I have put myself out there too, dating apps, dancing classes, ngos, still trying to do the meetup thing….but cant seem to find a activity that I have been able to make it too. Just in general having a difficult time, am I putting out the wrong vibes? I am very independent at times too- i like one on one situations more then groups. Just want things to get started.

Whats your experience like meeting people? is it more natural process? I always seem to feel like I am forcing a friendship or so excited to have met a new person that I wear them out with wanting to hang out all the time.

Keng Huah
    Participant

Hi, I see where you are coming from. From what I can deduce from your situation, I feel that as long as you portray yourself as a genuine person, and have good intentions for the other party, making friends will not be a problem. As for how you can slowly ease from a one to one to a group meetup/gathering, i suggest you can start to do more things for others e.g baking, showing appreciation of others. From then on, you can slowly gain mutual friends through that one friend while you gain their trusts too. Based on my experiences of making friends, I usually make friends through sports meetup. Feel natural, act natural and you’ll be natural in making friends around you. The Key thing is to be positive and cheerful, while always maintaining a good posture. It is what is inside you, not outside you that matters, people will be able to sense it on the first meetup. Lastly, good luck and have fun making friends around you! I believe you can do it!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Please log in OR register.