fbpx
Menu

2 different men, 2 different histories, choice to make

HomeForumsRelationships2 different men, 2 different histories, choice to make

New Reply
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Allie
    Participant

Hi all. I have an issue that I need advice on. Sometimes strangers can be the most objective so here is my situation. I have two situations in my life and feel strongly that I need to choose one.

Man 1-I met this man in 2009. He is from my culture and we have a lot in common. At the time I met him, I was dating someone else so nothing happened between us. In 2010 he moved. In 2012 I became single and ended up in his city for work. He and I went to dinner and he wanted to pursue things but the long distance had me weary so we lost touch again. In 2014 I was back in his city and we went out again and again we had a great a time. He asked that I stay the week in his city and we really get to know each other. I could not stay and I left. Again we lost contact. He has been reaching out to me over the past year and I recently wrote back when I was having a difficult time with my boyfriend. He wants to meet up and has asked me to visit him or he will visit me. He has said he wants to understand the nature of our connection more and he feels like we never really had a chance.

Man 2-This is my boyfriend of 3 years and we are talking about getting engaged. He and I met at work. He told me he had two small kids and he and the mother of his children were not together. I felt an incredibly attraction to him and felt he was the one. I found out he was not being honest and that the relationship with his kids mom was not over and that they were together for the sake of their two small kids. I broke up with him immediately. He and she broke up after that and he went to therapy to deal with the lies he had told. Months later, he and I reconciled. It took a long time to forgive but ultimately I did and we started building our life together. His ex moved on and met someone who makes her happy as well. He introduced me to his kids and his ex and all is settled there. Over the past year however, I have noticed that my once loving partner has changed and his expectations of me feel unrealistic. I gave up spending time doing the things I enjoyed because he and the kids always wanted me with them. Also, his parenting style is very different than how I would parent and I often felt unseen/ignored while they were with us (over 50% of the time). We fought a lot and this has been an incredibly challenging relationship due to our conflicts and basically merging me into his family. I brought this to his attention a couple weeks ago and  he has made significant changes to his behavior and would also like to see a counselor with me so we can get to a healthier place in our relationship.

In addition to the issues we have endured in this past year, I am harboring hard feelings about the fact that our relationship has not evolved into commitment. I wanted to have try for kids and have spent 3 years in this situation. I blame myself but also him that I have lost this precious time (I am in my late 30’s). My boyfriend knew what I wanted, is deeply remorseful over time lost, wants to get engaged and try to start to have a child with me. I have tried to forgive this but I am struggling to do so.

Currently, I have asked my boyfriend for a bit of distance. I no longer spend every night with him and the kids and I feel better balanced. My boyfriend is afraid of losing me but is respecting my wishes.

I am clearly confused. Any advice on whether I should forget about guy 1 and focus on making things right with my partner? I love my partner very much but do not have kids of my own and do not want to spend the next 30 years of my life fighting with him and the various issues that arise with blended families.

Please help.

Michelle
    Participant

I think the answer is obvious.

Man #1 might not be a perfect match, but it is already apparent that Man #2 isn’t. I would cut my losses and explore the first guy further. However, I would go into it with no expectations realizing that sometimes it is better to be single than stay with someone just for the sake of being in a relationship. The right person will eventually enter your life.

Edited to add: you can love someone without feeling obligated to stay in a romantic relationship with them.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Michelle.
    HoneyBlossom
    Participant

Dear Ally,

From the way your post reads, it sounds  very much like he has his children every night.  Is this right?

I think you need to seriously ask yourself what he has to offer you.

I cant say anything about the other man because you really dont know him yet.  However,  he is a reminder to you that there are other men out there who would be interested in you who probably have much more to offer you than your current boyfriend

Allie
    Participant

He and his technically have 50/50 custody but in reality, he has them 60% of the time. He loves his kids and is dedicated to them.

I used to spend every night with him and was around the kids whenever he was. I’ve decreased this time and am taking a bit of time to gain better balance in my life and reflect on these issues.

Anonymous

Dear Allie:

You wrote that you love your boyfriend/partner very much and that he is willing to get married. Life with him and his children distressed you lately and you feel better away. But it doesn’t mean you should permanently stay away.

I suggest you do see that counselor with him,  so to figure out a way that the two of you together can make it work. No longer fighting, but instead,  resolving problem and conflicts peacefully and respectfully. With learning interpersonal skills and practicing those, including conflict resolution skills, the two of you, willing to work at it, can make it work

The other man, the fact that he is of your culture does not mean much, does it. I mean within your culture there are men who would be suitable for you and there are men who will not be suitable. He may be a good choice but you don’t know him yet and he doesn’t know you much either. With him, it will be starting at the beginning, getting to know each other.

What do you think?

anita

Allie
    Participant

All of you bring up good points. Guy 1 is making me remember I don’t have to be in a super stressful situation and that other men find me attractive. I’d always felt this but over the last 3 years have felt so overwhelmed by things with my current boyfriend that i’d forgotten what it a bit.

I love my boyfriend but I have been lied to, manipulated and treated less than I deserve. I know his desire to change is real. I know he doesn’t lie to me anymore. And he is willing to make any adjustments to work with me to get us to a health place. He has come a long way and doing his best to be the best father he can be. He works a high stress job and makes it to his kids every performance. He juggles a lot right now and I have compassion for him.

But still a small voice somewhere inside of me is saying that life would him may be filled with me having to be on guard and in the edge of conflict.

Anonymous

Dear Allie:

Better than not go back to a life “in the edge of conflict”- regardless of Man 1. It is your right and primary responsibility to have the best life that is available to you. In-the-edge-of-conflict is not a good life.

I would choose then to not to choose Man 1 or Man 2, but to un-choose Man 2 because you know him enough to be concerned.

Once you do that, then you can get to know Man 1.

anita

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Please log in OR register.