Menu

anita

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 7,077 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • anita
    Participant

    Back 2 U, Dear Robi:

    “My starting point isn’t that bad”-

    You think of your starting point being that of a 33 year old (healthy, fit) man who is living with his parents (for the last year or so), unemployed, money running out.

    And you’re giving yourself how much time (?) to move out of your parents + to be employed or self- employed + to make a certain amount of money + (something else?)- so that you can finally feel worthy, no longer ashamed?

    That kind of thinking creates pressure, doesn’t it? It taking so much effort, time and consistency to reach a point of No More Shame.

    Imagine dropping the shame not then-and-there but here-and-now (in the next few days)?

    It will take away the pressure factor, the extra stress, the extra difficulty.

    And not by some tricky-thinking, but by adopting true, realistic thinking, such that fits reality.

    Reality is that there’s nothing wrong with you, Robi, never has been. You adapted to the environment where you grew up in. Anyone growing up in your exact circumstances would have ended up where you’re at- at best.

    I’ve communicated with you for a long time, and I know you’re very intelligent- intellectually and emotionally. You’re creative, reflective.. you’re amazing! And I’m sure you’ve always been amazing.

    If you grew up in a healthy home, loved, supported, respected.. why, you would be Flying long ago!

    I hope that you can let go of the shame that doesn’t belong to you. You’re doing very well now, considering your parents and upbringing.

    Let go of undeserved shame, and life will be better right now- not months or years from now.

    It’ll make it easier for you to get employed, move out, etc.

    What thinks-feels Robi1992?

    Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Dear Robi 🙂

    You have what it takes to move forward, to Fly. You’re expressing not only intellectual awareness and understanding, but also emotional and physical awareness that are exceptional.

    In other words, you are intellectually AND emotionally intelligent, you got it, Robi 👏

    Reading that you like restoring wood furniture “back to life looking brand new” made me think of Robi restoring Robi back to life.. maximizing the computer screen, and.. my goodness,

    Restoring 8 doors in your parent’s house makes me think of the glass door (to the storage room)- replacing that intrusive, see- through glass with wood that allows privacy, that which respects and allows your developing Agency!

    I’ll write more later.

    💫 Anita

    in reply to: Feeling Stuck #461140
    anita
    Participant

    Hi Mollie:

    I do hope that another social opportunity door opens, thank you 💚🤍🩷

    Optimising every situation does sound like it could make decisions feel much bigger and more pressing than they actually are. Maybe when every choice is viewed through the lens of finding the best possible outcome, “good enough” becomes difficult to settle on.

    Have a lovely weekend too ☺️

    Anita

    in reply to: Feeling Stuck #461131
    anita
    Participant

    Hi again, Mollie:

    Having in mind the Decision OCD you mentioned today, I reread through your very first post on this thread (March 28, 2025: 1.5 years ago-in 4 days),

    And the first decision you shared about back then was the decision to break up with the man you were in love with so to fix your relationship with your parents who pressured you to break up with him (because he was 10 years older than you).

    I wonder how that decision (and other decisions aimed at pleasing or calming your parents.. (Pressured or Pressuring Parents perhaps?) play into your current decision-ocd.

    Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Dear Robi:

    About Falling into negativity (you wrote yesterday: “It’s hard to keep myself focused and not fall into negativity”), it’s going to keep happening, it’s part of the process, can’t shake it off for good/ can’t get rid of it. (I know, I tried).

    The key is to proceed forward, to accept the negativity as inevitable and not drown in it.

    Makes sense?

    A couple of weeks ago, at the dog park, I came across a heavily tattood woman with one tattoo that said (I may not have it exactly, but you can look it up, it’s something an Australian poet wrote):

    ‘But what if I Fall?’ ‘But dear, what if you Fly?'”

    And by Flying, I’m not thinking of Rocky fighting Apollo/ left foot braking on a race, I mean that feeling of being free of oppression, free of those keeping you under shame and judgment. Just that, that Freedom.

    Anita

    in reply to: Feeling Stuck #461127
    anita
    Participant

    Maybe 🙂 a better question than the second above is: What would become less scary if you knew you had made the perfect decision?

    in reply to: Feeling Stuck #461126
    anita
    Participant

    Hi Mollie:

    I think the tired has to do with the change of weather and with lack of adequate socialization since the closing of the taproom (I wrote to you on the very night it closed).

    I am wondering what’s behind trying to make perfect decisions vs good-enough or reasonable decisions. How would you define “perfect decision”?

    Making perfect decisions (if it was possible) would protect whom and from what?

    🤔 Anita

    in reply to: Feeling Stuck #461124
    anita
    Participant

    Good to read from you again, Mollie 🙂, exactly 2 months since you wrote last!

    I’m pretty much the same, a bit more tired lately.

    How are you? How’s the new job, the anxiety.. the ex.. ?

    🌿 Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Dear Robi:

    Continued (at the computer, looking at what I prepared this morning):

    “I see that here, in Romania, in my parents’ house, I do what I’ve always done… I still minimise, hide, change my ways in order not to rock the boat etc. Knowing I’ll be judged for my actions… filtering my actions before doing them. What if they will judge me… Of course.. I go out and see my friends whenever I want to… but the feeling is there. The tension is still there.”-

    The adult, rational part has moved on; the younger part is still catching up, expecting judgment, feeling the tension.

    “Now day after day, I focus on this goal. I apply here, there, ask here and there. I’ve asked the Café, I’ve applied at the International School of Warsaw to teach Romanian… Of course, I feel resistance.. I’ve put on a little rust so to speak. I don’t exactly feel excited to get moving. But it’s only surface rust.. It’ll dissolve once I get moving. It’s hard to keep myself focused and not fall into negativity. I constantly feel judged and pressured by my parents and that doesn’t work in my favour. It brings my mood down quite a lot.”-

    Part of you (the adult) is moving forward, applying for jobs, contacting people, and taking practical steps toward a different life. That shows motivation and hope. At the same time, another part of you (the child) is living in an environment that continually pulls you backward emotionally.

    When you say you feel judged and pressured by your parents, you are describing a state of chronic emotional tension. The mind spends energy not only on finding work and making plans, but also on defending itself against anticipated criticism.

    As a result, it becomes harder to stay focused, optimistic, and energized.

    Your “surface rust” metaphor is a good one. The rust is not laziness or lack of desire. It is discouragement, self-doubt, and the exhaustion that comes from living under constant emotional pressure.

    The fact that you are still applying for jobs shows that your deeper motivation is intact. The resistance you feel is the weight of carrying old fears and current stress at the same time.

    In simple terms: your future is pulling you forward, but your home environment is pulling you backward.

    That doesn’t mean you can’t move forward. It means you have to use extra effort because every step toward independence is being taken while you are surrounded by reminders of old patterns, old judgments, and old emotional wounds.

    The encouraging part is that you are already acting despite the tension. Often confidence comes after movement, not before it.

    As you sense, the rust does not disappear before the engine starts; the engine starts, and then the rust begins to loosen.

    “I see they are bothered by me being calm and present. It looks like they get triggered when I’m not in the same emotional state as they are. Foggy, lazy and depressed. My mom is addicted to online shopping and sits 80% of the day in front of the TV… I’m quite the opposite, as often is the case. I do my best to stay present, eat well, exercise and now I’ve committed to learn Qigong and make it a daily practice.”-

    Your parents appear to cope with life through distraction and comfort: television, shopping, and alcohol. You, on the other hand, are trying to cope through awareness, movement, healthy habits, and personal growth. When people in the same household live in such different ways, tension is the result.

    Your calmness and efforts to improve yourself highlight the differences between your way of living and theirs, and that can make people defensive or irritated.

    What is especially interesting is that you say, “I don’t judge them, but I see why it’s so difficult for me to be around them.”-

    That suggests that you are separating acceptance (of who they are) from the issue of compatibility (the lack of compatibility with them). You do not need to condemn your parents in order to recognize that their environment is not healthy for you.

    Psychologically, you seem to be discovering that love and understanding do not automatically mean you can thrive in close proximity to them.

    Your commitment to exercise, healthy eating, presence, and QiGong is an attempt, as I see it, to maintain your own emotional center while living in an environment that continually pulls you toward moods and habits you don’t want to be yours.

    A simple summary might be: you are not struggling because you hate your parents. You are struggling because you are trying to move in one direction while the emotional atmosphere of the household moves in another.

    The more conscious you are of that difference, the more difficult it may feel to stay there.

    “I guess me and my parents have different ways of dealing with our anxiety. I feel I need to stick to good practices in order to have the clarity to make the right choices for myself. It seems to be working well but at times I feel like I’m collapsing. It’s clear to me that I need to be spending my time around people who lift up my energy and don’t try to bring it down (consciously or not).”-

    Anxiety itself is not the main issue. Everyone has anxiety. The difference is how people respond to it. Your parents soothe their anxiety through habits such as television, shopping, and alcohol. You try to manage your anxiety through healthy practices, exercise, mindfulness, and now QiGong.

    These practices help you feel clear-headed and connected to yourself, which is why you feel such a strong need to maintain them.

    When you say that at times you feel like you’re “collapsing,” you may be describing the exhaustion of constantly holding yourself together in an environment that is emotionally draining.

    It’s as if you are swimming against the current all day long.

    Your insight about wanting to spend time with people who lift your energy is important. Human beings are influenced by the emotional atmosphere around them. When we are surrounded by people who are supportive, hopeful, and emotionally healthy, it is generally easier to maintain our own balance. When we are surrounded by criticism, pessimism, or chronic dissatisfaction, we often have to work much harder just to stay centered.

    In simple terms: you are discovering that your well-being depends not only on what you do, but also on the environment you live in and the people you spend time with.

    Some relationships and environments help you stay strong, while others require so much emotional effort that you feel depleted. That does not mean your parents are bad people. It simply means that their way of dealing with life is not compatible with the kind of life you are trying to build for yourself.

    “I’m glad to have my girlfriend by my side, even if she’s currently more than one thousand km away. She’s been very supporting and I feel I can build something good with her. Since she’s started going to therapy, she started working on both our relationship and her relationship with her mother. I see good things happening and I have all the best reasons to move forward.”-

    And I’m glad to read this!

    And I have to add that if the idea is eventually to live in Warsaw with both your girlfriend and her mother, I don’t see it working out (Do you?) It may be worth thinking carefully about how much independence and private space a couple needs in order to thrive.

    “I also think we should keep talking through this. I often disconnect, as you know, but I’ll try to be more present. I am very grateful for your words and I wish one day I’ll find the right way to make it up to you. Thank you!”-

    Oh, Robi… Nothing to make up to me.

    Communicating with you over the years has been so positively meaningful to me.

    You are exceptionally honest, reflective, and aware. Those qualities have always stood out to me.

    Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Dear Robi:

    It ocurred to me only the day before yesterday, while talking to my neighbor, that I did not drive ALL of 2026!

    Last I drove was a 2020 black Toyota.. and not very far. Been a passenger in the same car this year, going as far as 7 miles to and from the 🐕🐕🐕🐕 park and the market, that is all. Simple Country life.

    Back to you: you wrote that your mother spends 80% of her day in front of the TV, and that your father drinks alcohol throughout the day (in small amounts), both addicted to online shopping and both being “Foggy, lazy and depressed”.

    And you wrote that you constantly feel judged and pressured by them.

    My analytical brain is not at its best right now, but it doesn’t take much to see that living with them is not congruent with your mental- emotional health.

    The Serenity Prayer comes to mind: the Serenity to accept the things you cannot change (the ways they live their lives), and the Courage to change the things you can (the ways you live your life.. and where you live your life).

    I suppose the feeling of being judged by them, and being disturbed and pressured by their judgment, started when you were very young, before you were able to see them as clearly as you do now.

    Back then- at a very young age- they were what all parents are for their little boys and girls: gods. And gods’ judgment is a serious, heavy duty thing.

    – will continue (moving from the phone to the computer).

    🌿 Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Good late Wed morning (here), Robi 🙂

    I was working on a reply for you but have to prepare for a beagle playdate. Will get back to you by tonight.

    Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Continued (page 14)

    The Freeze response- in my experience- has been about putting my life on hold until conditions at home became compatible with growth.

    And when the waiting lasted too long, I forgot that I was waiting, and what I was waiting for.

    Makes me think again of Robi minimizing the computer screen when they entered the storage room, minimizing it until conditions changed and were safe (your need for privacy acknowledged and respected).

    Comfy Cafe vs a more physical, higher paying job.. you can try the second and see how that works. One day/ night at a time.

    Point is, as I see it, is to be dedicated to the goal of becoming the autonomous, emotionally resilient Robi you were meant to be- on an everyday basis, one step, one day at a time, patiently. To leave your parents’ home and never return to living with them.

    It’s not likely to be a production as glorious as that of the (not real) Rocky fighting Apollo, but glorious it will be nonetheless, in genuine, real- life experience.

    Let’s keep talking through this, Robi 🙂

    🌿 Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Dear Robi:

    * I’m adding this note an hour into this message. Using my phone, I had let my thoughts take me where they would, not having a plan, just typing as I think 🙂:

    Your explanation of the left-foot-braking (LFB?) while racing is fascinating to me. So, while racing forward, right foot on the gas (.. I just scrolled up to reread your explanation but we’re on a new page, # 15). So, let me see if I can figure it out:

    While the right foot is on the gas pedal, making a turn (which requires some slowing down), the left foot presses the brake, and the traction/ friction with the road makes it possible to make the turn as fast as possible .

    Without pressing the brakes, staying on the same speed, the car wouldn’t be able to make the turn and instead race ahead in a straight line off the road and.. race is over. Right?

    That’s Strategic brakes pushing.

    Different from the Survival brakes pushing involved in the Freeze response.

    The animal playing dead is pushing the brakes on expressing any emotion, pushing down its natural instinct to run away (Flight) or Fight.

    The result is not moving as fast as possible while making a turn. The result is not moving at all.

    Not moving at all while fear is still there, the desire to run or fight is still alive inside, but weakened enough to not express itself on the outside.

    The Freeze response is intended- by nature- to last for just a short time, just long enough for the predator to lose interest and move on. When that happens, the animal thaws and goes on about life just as it did before, as if nothing happened.

    Problem when it comes to humans is that when the Parents are the Predators (stay with me, Robi, I know it sounds dramatic), the pushing of the brakes is long-term, too long for a fast recovery like that in the animal world.

    Some parents are predatory in direct, obvious ways such as in severe physical and emotional aggression toward their children.

    Other parents simply bypass the whole idea that their child is a person with feelings, one who needs emotional attending to, not just food, and physical shelter.

    So, they take care of some of the physical needs of the child, but they not only neglect the emotional needs (the need to be listened to, to have privacy, the need to develop and practice autonomy), they violate those needs- not in violent ways like severe beatings- but in less dramatic ways (ex., entering the child’s space anytime they wish to).

    So, even though such parents are not obviously predatory, their impact on the child is that the child has to hide (minimize the computer screen..), put his life on hold until such time that the child is welcomed into the world as an autonomous, real person.

    The thawing- for a human who has been Frozen for years- can’t be as fast and as simple as that of an animal who frpze/ played dead for only 20 minutes.

    – to be continued.

    Anita

    in reply to: I just randomly and suddenly fell out of love #461083
    anita
    Participant

    Hey Irritated Confused 😒

    Sounds like the relationship with her is going well, and that the irritation and feeling like sh** comes from elsewhere in your life: stagnation at work perhaps? stagnation with family (same old, never resolved problems swept under the carpet and fermenting there,, perhaps 🤔?

    I said “Maybe the lost-Confused, needing to be found, competed with the girl for your attention by shutting down your feelings for her..?” because you said “I would always lose myself in a relationship”

    Coming to think about it, I wonder what you mean by losing yourself..?

    (I hope the question is not 😒-ing you)

    Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Good late Tues morning, Dear Robi:

    I got dizzy just reading your description of left foot breaking..🙂

    I like “thirsty for… something that feels right”.

    I will write more later.

    Anita

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 7,077 total)