Menu

anita

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 7,106 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Change #461202
    anita
    Participant

    Oh, I didn’t even notice your dog in the background. Can’t see clearly. I see a black tail..? How’s Gunner?

    in reply to: Change #461200
    anita
    Participant

    Hi ScottyDye:

    Just wanted to say that I was pleased to see that you posted today, on Annie’s thread (2.5 months since you posted on the forums), welcome back!

    It’s also nice to see your photo, it gives me a ScottyDye visual 🙂

    Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Dear Robi: I’m excited to read part of your message and will get back to it tonight. Yes, Autumn is here big time and it’s been raining all night long and all day long (I got to get out of the house anyway!). I hope you sleep well, Robi!

    Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Good Tuesday afternoon, Nea:

    Raining here 😽🙀😿 and 🙉🙊🙉 (no dogs emojis available on the phone), all.. night and all day.. long.

    Bogart, a bit wet from the shortest little walk outside, is comfortably situated on my lap as I’m typing into the phone whatever comes to mind.

    You mentioned before, quite a few times, how you’ve been playing future family gathering in your mind (after you move to your own home). I can sense a strong flavor of nostalgia: memories of good times, warm, safe, however temporary.

    Maybe those memories are so sweet, endearing and enduring because they were much needed breaks from unpredictability and tension.

    I remember similar breaks perhaps growing up when visiting aunt Susi during holidays. There my mother seemed happy, never violent, never abusive.. the mother I wish she was at home, the place that felt like a war zone.

    I’ve read many hundreds of members, here in the forums, over the 11+ years of my participation here (it used to be much busier here, with new members appearing sometimes every day. Now there hasn’t been a new member posting in over a month),

    And of all the hundreds, the descriptions of only a handful of members felt close to the severity or longevity of my mother’s abuse, and your father is one of them.

    It’s the combination of physical violence, the threat of physical violence (when not actually being violent), the name calling and other verbal abuses, the unapologetic domination, the victim blaming, and the lack of expressed accountability or regret.

    The incident with your husband- that’s part of your father’s pattern over at least 3 decades (right?), not an exception.

    “I’m still trying to figure out what the healthiest middle ground looks like”-

    Hmm. Let me get the monkeys emojis back.. 🙈🙉- see no evil, hear no evil.

    I’ll stop here (the unplanned reuse of the monkeys emojis amazes me).

    Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Continued:

    It makes sense not to commit long-term to the café, and your anxiety in regard to the courier job- being too exhausted to (1) work out, and (2) spend quality time with yourself, tells me how important these 2 things are and that they should be prioritized and practiced every day.

    About your girlfriend- from what you shared recently, seems to me that she’s capable and willing to accommodate your understandable and valid need for AA (for the daily practice of Autonomy and Agency).

    I hope your stress level lessens, one day, one night, one AA practice, one step at a time 👣

    Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Dear Robi:

    I just lost my reply that was so close to being submitted because Bogart decided to sit on my lap for just long- enough for the phone to get moved the wrong way, and the message to disappear 🥴

    Again then:

    The first part of your message reminds me of my mother: she didn’t view me as a separate person with my own thoughts, feelings, preferences, etc., that were different from hers, such that were given space to be, a right to exist.

    She viewed me as something that was residing in her 🧠 (which should make mind-reading easy, lol), having direct access to HER thoughts, HER feelings, HER preferences, etc., at any moment in time.

    And that something (me) refused to get with the program and accommodate what she needed me to say, do, or express.

    Ha- ha. I think she thought of me (without thinking it in these words) as a part of her brain, but not a good, cooperative part.

    More like a brain tumor 👽 that disobeyed, disrespected, refused to cooperate and was not under her control.

    Talking about entraptment.

    Congrats for labeling your parents lack of clear communication and organization skills instead of “just getting trigerred” 👏

    I agree, of course, that everyone gets attracted from time to time to someone who is not their partner. For someone who grew up entrapped, the attraction to other people, to other places.. to possibilities of freedom gains flavor and intensity.

    Let me send this message before I lose it.

    Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Continued:

    Robi, Feb 1, 2023:

    “You know I’ve been asking myself why do I feel so bad around her mother? It has to have something to do with my parents/ childhood/that apartment where we lived… She triggers the f*ck out of me and I don’t quite know what it is.

    “All I know is that I feel angry at her, like I want her to go away. I can’t even look at her, so 90% of the times I avoid any kind of eye contact…  So, I avoid her almost at all costs, I avoid eye contact, I keep conversations to a bare minimum… 

    “So, I would look at her, and I would instantly feel tension… In time I started being irritated by the sound of her in general, walking, talking etc. so very often I would get angry inside,

    “Sometimes I would just say things. Bad things, like oh, she’s here again.. I would even insult her in all kinds of ways. It’s like I’m angry with her but.. I mean.. there is no reason to be angry with her. But I’ve felt like this before, for a long time during my childhood. I’ve said those kinds of things in my mind, and I acted in a similar manner.

    “I think It was my mum I was always angry with…So, I’m basically experiencing a past experience that had a traumatic effect on me and caused me a lot of discomfort and anger. It made me feel trapped, constantly monitored, constantly seen but not really seen for real.

    “I hated it and I’ve had no choice but to bottle up, get angry in my head, call her (or them) names, get angry at them. I suppressed my authenticity, my voice, myself in order to keep the relationship, the shelter. I’ve had no choice as a child and for months now, it felt like I’ve had no choice as an adult.”-

    Reading those words again, I can’t help but notice how relevant they still seem today.

    I think it’s possible that what you’re interpreting as sabotaging commitment is, at least in part, an attempt to avoid a re-living of the entrapment you experienced as a child.

    I wish you were given some measure of privacy, of autonomy and agency growing up (or is growing inward more accurate?)

    Looking at what you wrote in 2023, and reading your post today, I can’t help but notice how often the themes of Freedom, Space, Privacy, Choice and having A Life of Your Own appear.

    So, when you think about your girlfriend visiting, I wonder: is the strongest feeling really about her, or is it about protecting a recently regained sense of autonomy?

    After all, you have been describing how much you enjoyed having some time alone in a neutral, quiet space. Perhaps that need deserves to be listened to before it is judged.

    Maybe the question is not ‘Do I love my girlfriend enough?’ but ‘Do I currently have enough room to be myself?’

    In my own life, Autonomy and Agency felt as essential as Oxygen. Reading your posts over the years, I wonder if AA feels similarly important to you?

    Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Dear Robi:

    I hope that you tell your girlfriend that a visit at this time.. is not the right time for you.

    It’s exercising your Autonomy and Agency (AA, ha-ha)- that precious freedom to say your Yes or No.

    “It almost feels as if something in me is trying to sabotage my relationship… to sabotage any form of growth, of commitment”-

    Maybe something in you is trying to sabotage any form of entrapment?

    Earlier today, I went back in your thread looking for what left a big impression on me regarding your experience living with your girlfriend and her mother in Warsaw.

    I found it in your Feb 1, 2023 post (more than 3.5 years ago.. how time flies).

    You definitely felt trapped with her mother. You shared that she trigerred you so intensely.. (I’ll continue using the computer where I have the quotes).

    Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Good Monday evening, Nea 🙂

    It’s exactly 6 days into Fall here, north west USA. Totally dark now, a bit after 7:30 pm. Bogart the Beagle is lying by the woodstove fire (3rd eve in a row).

    I’ve been working outside till shortly after sunset with just enough light, adding to the burn pile (burn ban should be lifted any day now.. Country life).

    My social life has switched from the closed taproom (2017- April 2026) to.. the dog park downtown. It’s become my routine now.

    But enough about my exciting life 🤸‍♂️

    The phrase 2-siding is new to me too. So, in situations where one person is clearly the Perpetrator (initiating and perpetrating verbal abuse, threatening physical violence) and the other person is clearly the Victim, some people will give the victim just a bit of validation (‘you were wronged’) and a moment later, soften and minimize the aggressor’s behavior, implying it wasn’t that bad, that it’s part of normal family difficulties, etc.

    It’s about pacifying the victim and the perpetrator at the same time, so that they’ll get along. Problem is that 2-siding feeds and maintains aggression in the long run.

    It reminds me of the belly up posture of one dog threatened by an aggressive second dog. It signals ‘I submit. Please don’t hurt me’ and the result: the aggressive dog is satisfied and does not continue the attack.. for the time being (repeated submissions are required 😌)

    It’s funny (in a way), I just scrolled up, using my phone, and I read: “I found myself thinking: ‘Why can’t he (your husband) be the bigger person?'”- by saying ‘hi’or apologizing, I figure.

    Thing is, if he submits to your father (even in ‘small’ ways,initiating a ‘hi’ or an apology), he’ll be- not the bigger person- but the smaller person, signaling the ‘belly up’ position.

    I think that if your husband submitted to your father, he’ll be less of a husband to you and less of a father to your daughter.

    I just scrolled up again and read your thoughts about “culture” and “respecting parents”-

    I think that parental abuse shows up in all cultures and that when respecting parents means submitting to abusive parents- as adults when you have a choice- is unwise.

    I hope all this is not too much..?

    Anita

    in reply to: Feeling Stuck #461169
    anita
    Participant

    Hello Mollie 🙂

    What an excellent observation!

    Your mother means well but unintentionally, she delivers the message, sounds to me, that your performance is never good- enough, there’s always room for better, so you never get to rest in a moment of good- enough.

    Is that how you feel?

    🤔 Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Dear Robi:

    Monday morning here and I’m smiling imagining 🚶‍♂️ 🛣️ your walk, which is, by the way, exactly how long it took me to walk from the Winery to the taproom (both businesses closed). I miss those days and that walk.

    I read your post and I want to take my time responding. I will by tonight. For now: there’s a positive message behind every emotion you feel, and behind every emotional state (that’s true for everyone). Sometimes you don’t see the message, but it’s there.

    “It was pretty nice to be able to be on my own a little in a neutral, quiet space.”- that pretty nice feeling’s message seems clear to me: you need to be on your own in a neutral, quiet place, just like you said.

    * If by neutral you mean feeling Calm, the opposite would be feeling Charged, upset, agitated, triggered (antonyms of calm)

    “Then (in Spain or Warsaw) I was often complaining I didn’t have my own space.. maybe I didn’t like sharing a house with a flat mate in Spain”- I think that you felt charged, upset, agitated, etc., when sharing the house with a flat mate in Spain, and when living with your girlfriend and her mother in Warsaw. Didn’t you?

    “My girlfriend wants to come visit me for a few days… the relationship is being questioned too, again. I don’t really know why. I sometimes feel like I don’t feel anything. I sometimes blame myself for not feeling that much excitement about my girlfriend. When she’s here, or I’m there and we’ve spent some time together I feel good about her but after a few days on my own I already start feeling distant and question the relationship.”-

    I’m asking myself what’s the positive message behind you not feeling anything (or feeling indifferent or distant) after a few days of being on your own, or now that she wants to visit you?

    The image (again) of Robi minimizing his computer screen when intruded upon- unexpectedly, anytime, and without your control- popped back to my mind.

    Maybe that experience conditioned you to generally experience people in close proximity as intruders, people who are Robbing Robi of control/ privacy/ calm? And the positive message behind feeling distant from your girlfriend is protective (as in: I don’t want to be intruded upon; I want privacy and calm)?

    Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Oopsie, I always copy my messages before submitting so to not lose the messages in case the submission fails. This time, I was in a hurry (for the beagles play date) and somehow pasted the copy into the post.

    anita
    Participant

    Good Saturday early afternoon, Nea 🙂

    I hope that you are well, Nea!

    A few minutes ago, I looked at the title of your thread, a title that puzzled me for a long time, but I didn’t know why until a few minutes ago.

    “When family dynamics you grew up with become unacceptable in adulthood”-

    It implies that the family dynamics you grew up with were acceptable in childhood, and became unacceptable only in adulthood.

    Isn’t it amazing how we normalize, or soften the abuse we did grow up with?

    We Soften it as much as possible so to Survive it.

    And then, when your husband who did not grow up with your father- did not soften the abuse, he’s been blamed for it.

    You had to survive that abuse because you had nowhere to go. But now, as an adult, you do have somewhere to go.

    So, in my mind, if your father wants you in his life, it is not that your husband has to soften for him, it’s your father who needs to soften- at least in how he behaves.

    Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Dear Robi:

    I’m so glad to read your message this Saturday morning 😊

    It sounds like you’re giving yourself exactly what you need right now: a little space, a little quiet, and a break from the constant pressure and judgment. The image of you walking for over an hour, carrying only a few things and taking some time for yourself, feels very peaceful to me.

    What stood out to me most was this:

    “I know there’s a lot of shame in me.. that isn’t all mine.”

    I’m happy to see you write that. It reminds me of a book that meant a lot to me years ago, “Healing the Shame That Binds You” by John Bradshaw. One of the main ideas I took from it was that toxic shame makes a person believe there is something fundamentally wrong with who they are, instead of recognizing that they are simply a human being who was hurt, limited by circumstances, and doing the best they can.

    That idea stayed with me because it helped me see that not all shame belongs to the person carrying it. Sometimes we absorb judgments, expectations, and messages from our upbringing and environment, and later mistake them for the truth about ourselves. (I’d love to tell you more about the book, please let me know if you’d like that).

    So, when you say you’re getting better at remembering that the shame isn’t all yours, I think that’s a very meaningful thing. Not because you solved everything, but because you’re beginning to separate yourself from the shame.

    And I like what you wrote:

    “All will work out just fine. I’ll take small steps – one day at a time.”

    One day at a time is enough. No need to carry the whole future on your shoulders this weekend.

    As for me, I’m doing well. The sun is shining right now, and I’m scheduled to go for a playdate with the neighbors’ 2 beagles in half an hour, a total of 🐕🐕🐕 running in an open green field under the sun.

    Enjoy the movies, the music, the silence, and the break from pressure. You’ve earned these two days.

    Anita Dear Robi:

    I’m so glad to read your message this Saturday morning 😊

    It sounds like you’re giving yourself exactly what you need right now: a little space, a little quiet, and a break from the constant pressure and judgment. The image of you walking for over an hour, carrying only a few things and taking some time for yourself, feels very peaceful to me.

    What stood out to me most was this:

    “I know there’s a lot of shame in me.. that isn’t all mine.”

    I’m happy to see you write that. It reminds me of a book that meant a lot to me years ago, “Healing the Shame That Binds You” by John Bradshaw. One of the main ideas I took from it was that toxic shame makes a person believe there is something fundamentally wrong with who they are, instead of recognizing that they are simply a human being who was hurt, limited by circumstances, and doing the best they can.

    That idea stayed with me because it helped me see that not all shame belongs to the person carrying it. Sometimes we absorb judgments, expectations, and messages from our upbringing and environment, and later mistake them for the truth about ourselves. (I’d love to tell you more about the book, please let me know if you’d like that).

    So, when you say you’re getting better at remembering that the shame isn’t all yours, I think that’s a very meaningful thing. Not because you solved everything, but because you’re beginning to separate yourself from the shame.

    And I like what you wrote:

    “All will work out just fine. I’ll take small steps – one day at a time.”

    One day at a time is enough. No need to carry the whole future on your shoulders this weekend.

    As for me, I’m doing well. The sun is shining right now, and I’m scheduled to go for a playdate with the neighbors’ 2 beagles in half an hour, a total of 🐕🐕🐕 running in an open green field under the sun.

    Enjoy the movies, the music, the silence, and the break from pressure. You’ve earned these two days.

    Anita ☀️

    anita
    Participant

    Back 2 U, Dear Robi:

    “My starting point isn’t that bad”-

    You think of your starting point being that of a 33 year old (healthy, fit) man who is living with his parents (for the last year or so), unemployed, money running out.

    And you’re giving yourself how much time (?) to move out of your parents + to be employed or self- employed + to make a certain amount of money + (something else?)- so that you can finally feel worthy, no longer ashamed?

    That kind of thinking creates pressure, doesn’t it? It taking so much effort, time and consistency to reach a point of No More Shame.

    Imagine dropping the shame not then-and-there but here-and-now (in the next few days)?

    It will take away the pressure factor, the extra stress, the extra difficulty.

    And not by some tricky-thinking, but by adopting true, realistic thinking, such that fits reality.

    Reality is that there’s nothing wrong with you, Robi, never has been. You adapted to the environment where you grew up in. Anyone growing up in your exact circumstances would have ended up where you’re at- at best.

    I’ve communicated with you for a long time, and I know you’re very intelligent- intellectually and emotionally. You’re creative, reflective.. you’re amazing! And I’m sure you’ve always been amazing.

    If you grew up in a healthy home, loved, supported, respected.. why, you would be Flying long ago!

    I hope that you can let go of the shame that doesn’t belong to you. You’re doing very well now, considering your parents and upbringing.

    Let go of undeserved shame, and life will be better right now- not months or years from now.

    It’ll make it easier for you to get employed, move out, etc.

    What thinks-feels Robi1992?

    Anita

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 7,106 total)