fbpx
Menu

26 and still dontknow who i am

HomeForumsEmotional Mastery26 and still dontknow who i am

New Reply
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    natalie
    Participant

Hi

As the title says im 26 and still dont know who i am.

Maybe im putting a little pressure on my self as to “finding who i am” at the age of 26 but i feel like i should atleast have some sort of idea.

I know one thing is that i have realised that i try and adapt my friends lifestyles. If they go out partying everyweek i think to my self “hey maybe i should do that.. maybe im that type of person” then i try it and i dont enjoy it. im now going through a “i love going to church ” faze. when in theory what i do know is that i dont want to live by the rules they think people of the church should live by.

I just feel like i have no identity. i ask for advice on every part of my life and i take it as gospel beciase i dont want to make a mistake.

I know that i like my own company and reading and writing, going to the gym occasional nights out with my friends but not every week, but i feel like im boring for wanting to do that. i feel like i people will think that i am boring.

Am i being too hard on my self? i just dont feel normal

Will
    Participant

Hey Natty,

It seems like you experience a lot of need for approval from the people around you. I’m not sure the problem is that you don’t know who you are (a pretty airy fairy question at the best of times, in my opinion) but that you’re worried the kind of person you are is “boring”.

You probably are being a bit hard on yourself, and needing approval from others is certainly completely normal and not something any of us really ever drop, I don’t think. Maybe you just need to trust your own ideas a little bit more. Reading and writing, going to the gym and having an occasional night out with friends sounds like a fine life to me. If it’s not boring to you, then what’s the problem?

It’s OK to be unsure of what kind of person you are. In fact, I think it can be useful not to have too clear a picture of what kind of a person you are, whatever your age. You might find you’re different from what you thought, even at 26 (or 66). Also keep in mind you’re always changing. Those friends who are out clubbing all weekend now will probably not do the same thing ten years from now. And even if they do, they’ll have changed in other ways.

So being open minded is good. Just trying things and seeing how they fit is useful. But don’t judge yourself if something that works for other people doesn’t work for you. You now know that clubbing every weekend is not for you. That’s good to know, right? And living according to strict church rules doesn’t seem to suit you either. All right, that’s useful. Maybe there’s a different church that suits you better.

We all figure it out as we go along. Don’t stress it.

All good things to you.

Adam P
    Participant

Hi there Natalie,

I hope you’re doing well.

If you’re looking for an answer to your question regarding your situation, just go one paragrah up and read re-read the section from ” I know that……….but not every week”, followed by “and I’m not concerned how others view me.”

There you go, after that you should begin to have some form of identity. Just as Will mentioned with the age differences, I’m sure there are some individuals 66 that still don’t know who they are or have lost it over time.

Take care

Alexa
    Participant

It’s funny, I read this and thought that is me, I am 26 in two months, I currently am not working and to be honest I really don’t know what I want to do, I get stressed over it!
    The only thing I’ve ever learnt is that being true to yourself is what counts, I have spent the last year trying to make friends with my partners family and their friends and frankly is been pointless, I say thinking of every way I could possibly become part of this group of people until I recently realised, I do have my own identity and i don’t really identify with them in most ways, I know who I am, and really.. Who gives if I prefer my own company or would like to spend time alone or not in a group, you are you! Really it doesn’t matter who thinks your boring or whatever aslong as your happy that’s all that matters.. I tried conforming and doing all the things they liked doing but in reality it’s not me .. Life’s a journey you may think you haven’t found yourself yet but you probably have, you just confuse yourself by telling yourself you should be more this way or that way.. Take some time out alone, connect with yourself .. But if you like a good book and nights alone your not the only one I assure you and there’s nothing wrong with that .. It’s way better to be apart from the crowd walking to the beat of ur own drum than in a band where your drowned out by all the other sounds!

natalie
    Participant

Thank you so much for your replies. I finally feel like people understand me. I feel normal in my own way 🙂

Alexa
    Participant

Ya know what, none of us are normal! All unique in different ways! That’s what makes like exciting and that’s why it’s hard to fit in, plus who likes normal? Embrace your quirky bits, there’s no one else like you and that’s what makes you you! And that’s why people love you

Lotus Flower
    Participant

Hey Natalie, how are you?

I understand your feelings – I’ve been through a phase where I was doing things that my friends considered “cool” but that I didn’t enjoyed to do… until the day I realized: “you know what? Sc*** everything, I’m a human being and have the right to be whatever I want to be!!” So I started paying attention at myself: what are the things that pleasure me? Which don’t? Do I have to do things that my friends think it’s cool and I don’t? Why do I think I have to do these things?

So, in my humble opinion, I thinks it’s a good idea for you to think over these:
    – why does it matter so much for me what people think of me?
    – If I act trying to make people think good things about me, will these acts actually make my life better/happier?
    – Can I control what people think about me?
    – If I try my best to came up with a good impression, do I have a guarantee they’ll certaily think the best of me?

When I came up with the answers to these questions, I finally allowed myself to be ME, and not what others wanted me to be.

So, I’m one year older that you and most people between 18 and 30s here in Brazil go to discos every weekend to dance and get drunk. I love to dance but hate getting drunk, so when I go to these places usually comes a time where everybody’s drunk but me and I feel so displaced… So I stopped going to discos frequently when I was 19. Now, I just go 2, 3 times per year. I spend most of my weekends doing other things I love to do: watch movies with my fiancé, play MMORPG, bake a nice cake…

And yes, there are people who think it’s boring to do these things in the weekends, but my happiness is more important than their opinion over me, so I choose to be happy and do whatever I want to do no matter what everybody thinks =D

I started feeling much more free when I allowed myself to do things that made me happy… I highly recommend it =D

Hope this helps =)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Please log in OR register.