fbpx
Menu

32, Master degree, but still a starter – changing paths or not?

HomeForumsWork32, Master degree, but still a starter – changing paths or not?

New Reply
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    M@ry
    Participant

This is tough for me… I did a Bachelor + Master degree in engineering that I enjoyed, but it wasn’t really my passion. And it wasn’t easy breezy for me, I had to work hard for it, but I passed everything on the first try, so it wasn’t THAT hard for me. I graduated when I was 28. Then I got a job in a consulting company for 2 years, which I enjoyed, but I wasn’t learning anything really, and I was a bit bored at work. Then early 2012 I moved from Europe to Australia for my ex. Because of my visa I didn’t work for an entire year, and now this year I’ve been doing casual (uneducated) work for the past 8 months. After getting over the breakup, I have dived into jobsearching, but not much luck so far. I feel like it’s because I’m still a starter, and also because the businesses in my field are not really hiring, and a lot of the time it’s ‘who’ you know not ‘what’ you know… so what to do?

I am enjoying my casual work, and I will keep applying for jobs in my field, but now I’ve been offered a data entry job at an accounting firm, and they are willing to train me, and even pay for an accounting degree (3 years) if i stay with them long-term. I’m thinking maybe I should just change directions, start something new, and do accounting. But then, I’m thinking of the degrees I already have, which cost me 6 years, and a lot of money which I still have to pay back. And I won’t make a great salary for the next coming years while I’m studying. But then, maybe I should just go for it, because I do like accounting, it’s a bit simpler, and straightforward like maths. I always felt out of my depths doing engineering, like I wasn’t smart enough. I feel like accounting I can ‘get’, I don’t have to worry about complicated stuff, and technical thinking etc.

I have to say I’m worried about my future, and making enough money. I don’t have any saving, and if I take a new path, I won’t be making much. I would make much more in engineering, but then I can’t find a job in that field anyway. And I could potentially enjoy an engineering job as well, as long as I can learn on the job as well, and get a job that aligns with my interests and is not too technical… just don’t know what to do. I’m 32 and feel like I’m getting old, and that I need to have my finances in order and be secure for my future.

Jeff
    Participant

What is there to stop you from taking the data job and continue looking in the engineering field?

I will say that I work for a major corporation, and of the people I am close to at work not a one of us is in the field we went to college for. I’m a history major, one is a political science major, one went to school for chemical engineering, and one was a speech major. Even if you don’t “use” your degree, it isn’t a waste of time. College isn’t just about the degree, but about experiences and a lot of other stuff. My history degree taught me how to dig and do research– something I use every day in my job.

Do what is going to make you happy. I’ve worked too many yers in a job I disliked because I “had to” financially. The result is a lot of years where I lost out in pursuing passions and taking chances in my life. You’ll be working for the next 40 years, so make it something you like, not something you feel you have to do.

P.D.Barker
    Participant

I’ve never posted on here before, but must say this resonated with me.

I started my early life as a semi-professional sportsman, then became a musician and did (and still do) a variety of jobs – everything from gardening to bar work to writing. I undertook a PhD at 30 – this was coming off the back of 2-3 years of study, and (HUGE) debt! And in my later years I achieved quite highly without trying. Having essentially spent 4 years training as a teacher prior to my PhD (which I subsequently left for an MA, which I’m undertaking presently) I also had the same concerns: What about money, my future, security? Have I wasted all those years etc. etc. I even spent a year or two working as a supply teacher to try and convince myself that I could do this “just for the money” – which of course never works out 🙂

Presently I’m 33 and I’m doing an MA in Creative and Critical Writing and it feels ‘right’. I have little money and work odd jobs here and there. I suppose, I could look at it as though, work-wise, I’m not ‘fulfilling my potential’. But that simply wouldn’t be true. Sometimes I feel old and like I have no security – especially since I had to move back with my parents since I was the partner in a failed business the year previous! But again, this simply isn’t true. I can honestly say I am happier than I’ve ever been. Although, this hasn’t come from any external factors as such, it’s simply through practising and understanding that things will work out, and that you only ever have the present moment. I panicked about my course fees and how I would eat, but I got a large tax rebate from out of nowhere and then my course fees got reduced as well as some other fortuitous events. Okay I’m hardly rolling in it and sometimes it’s a tin of tuna for dinner, since I have no savings either 🙂 But had I never made that first step and decided to simply jump into the MA despite people telling me it was “beneath me” or that I “really should be doing a PhD,” or even telling myself “I can’t afford it” then none of these events would have transpired.

Money will come and go. And yes we need it, certainly, to live etcetera. But it is my experience if you simply accept what is in front of you and step off the cliff, so to speak, then things will happen that you never could of predicted. I’d always follow your gut. And believe me that’s been incredibly difficult for me to do, and sometimes like us all, I haven’t. But I can honestly say every time I have, and this applies to what I’m currently engaged in, things happen that I would have never thought possible. Stress stunts all forms of creativity and that includes deciding on your goal or purpose or whatever you want to call it. I’d personally try and work to switch your mind off and see what comes to you. It might even be something that you’ve never even considered. Good luck 🙂

Al
    Participant

My beliefs resonates with Jeff’s. I would rather pursue my passion of running a small ramen shop, concentrating on making the perfect ramen dish, than making millions being a CEO of a large corporation. Also, you are not 32 years old, you are 32 years young. 🙂

*Note* ~ I do not really wish to run a ramen shop, though the prospect doesn’t sound uninteresting. lol

M@ry
    Participant

I would love to do what I love, and sometimes I dream of starting a backpackers hostel or a cake business… but I’m still quite worried about my pension etc. What if I’m 65 and can’t work? I still might have 30 years to go at that point, how to survive then? With only 2 years of work experience, I haven’t really built up a pension, and I have to say I’m not sure how that works anyway… my savings will not last 30 years.

Hyo
    Participant

Just wanted to say to all that posted here, you have all helped me to have a new perspective and I wasn’t even the original poster! Thanks 🙂

Hi M@ry, you may already have your answer but I wanted to chime in. It’s never too late to find your path and start doing something you love. Yes, your ability to earn a living is important, but so is your happiness and sense of fulfillment – if that is important to you.

It doesn’t hurt to try new things and sometimes we all change our minds, but the key is finding something that you truly enjoy and then figuring out a way to make money doing that. Any education you already have will not be wasted, as you can never unlearn what you have learned and you never know, it may come in handy one day. It’s great to be educated in many different subjects, all of your experiences are shaping you, adding to the person that you are.

May I suggest that you spend some time evaluating your likes and dislikes, your natural talents and skills, and your hopes and dreams. Then listen to your heart and define what you really want out of your life. Then go do that. Even small steps will lead you to where you want to go. And don’t be afraid to course correct as you go. The great thing about decisions is that you can always make another one!

Best of luck to you in finding your path!
    Cat Wall
    Decision Tree Coaching

Cozetta Lagemann
    Participant

Hi M@ry,

I was in a similar position a few years ago. I didn’t have any real direction, career-wise and I was really unhappy. I’ve always had this intense yearning to earn a living through making a positive difference in the world. I want to be happy while working, which a lot of people give up on or cast aside as silly and unrealistic. I’ve never been able to give up on that idea, though.

The problem for me was that I wasn’t sure exactly what I wanted to do. I’m interested in lots of different things, so I went in a few different directions and tried some things that I thought would make me happy, but none of them really fit and felt right.

After some soul searching and lots of research, I finally found the perfect career for myself.

I work with busy moms, helping them create amazing outcomes in their life. Whether it’s improving their health, relationships, or self image (or any other area of their life), I educate and counsel them to get to the place they long to be. It’s amazing, and affects me just as much as it affects my clients. I love, love, love what I do and I can’t imagine doing anything else. I feel that this work uses all of my skills and gifts and encourages me to grow in my weaker areas. It’s pretty great.

I wish this same thing for you, M@ry. Everyone should light right up when they’re pursuing their dreams.

I think it’s incredibly important to get in touch with what you’re passionate about and if need be, create a career for yourself. It isn’t always easy being self employed, but the benefits are pretty amazing. Now, you may not have any real interest in taking on entrepreneurship, but I think if you just focus on what you love-not just on what feels safe, I think you can figure out what career you should pursue.

As far as saving money for retirement, there’s a massive abundance of information on the internet that you can use to educate yourself on how to save. I’m still learning all of that myself. You have time, too. Yes, it’s important to start as early as possible, but you can still make a comfortable retirement happen.

Pursuing your dreams is soo very important in this life. I hope this helps you find what you’re looking for. 🙂

~Cozetta

Mark
    Participant

M@ry,
    I want to share my experience. I’m 60 and working on getting into my life’s passion which I only discovered 3 years ago. I knew what I got my degrees for (M.S. in computer engineering, MBA) and what I have been doing (project management in technology) were not my life’s work. What kept me from even uncovering my life’s passion was financial security. I think that is a false concern. I don’t have much of a pension and very little savings but I feel that I don’t have a choice in my life but to pursue what I am meant to do.

There IS that balance between planning for the future versus giving up what you are meant to do in this world. If you go into such scenarios like “What if I’m 65 …?” then you will always make one kind of decision.

How about asking the question, “What if I know I am going to die soon?” THEN that puts a different light in your decision making process.

I beileve the question that should be asked is “Who do I want to be?” Then the activity/job/profession should unfold for you. I don’t think it needs to be an “either/or” decision. If you find a job that does not feed your soul does not mean you have to give up pursuing your life’s work.. at least right away.

The key is to focus on what you really want/who you are and then put that plan in place, set that intention. The Universe and your unconscious will guide you from there.

Let us know what you decide.

Metta,
    Mark

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Please log in OR register.