Menu

samy

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 188 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: I want to be normal #397233
    samy
    Participant

    Hi anita,

    I know that it’s the recent adult stress that has me drained now.  My life in general will need shifts for sure. But what I am also trying to address is how to handle the stress that is coming my way and going to be that way for as long as I hold a job or interact with people. There are people that have a peace about them, which is by no means because they don’t have issues. I want to be like that.

    Girija

    in reply to: I want to be normal #397199
    samy
    Participant

    Hi anita

    Your question is a very valid one. I’ve asked myself that in times of exasperation. How come I feel the worst when making up for whatever is lacking at home or at work. I realized it is because it doesn’t give me joy. I am stuck in survival mode. I think for decades now. You and I have explored quite a bit on why I care so much about my mom to the point that I have become a people pleaser in order to survive. Most social interactions, trigger my trauma response.

    I wanted to share with you a revelation I recently had. It slightly lifted the burden I’d been feeling.

    I’ve always wondered why the women in my family never left after being abused. One of whom was physically assaulted as well. I am no victim blamer nor do I think it is easy. But I was wondering why they show no interest in leaving, atleast think about it. Behind closed doors, when there are no men or elders around. Why don’t they ever consider leaving? I got to an answer of this by introspecting on my situation at work. Simply put – I am being mentally drained by people intentionally or unintentionally – and I wondered, how come I am not actively working on leaving. I had stopped my interview prep after my mom’s scan due to anxiety. But how come I am not back at it, considering I feel mentally and emotionally abused at work. And then it hit me, the abuse is so draining that I have no energy left to consider leaving. I am so depleted that to save energy my brain is rationalizing not making the effort to leave. Not just that, I often wondered why the women in my family still care about their role. Is the kitchen clean enough, is there husband dressed properly and so on. I realized it’s because even when people are aware of the abuse, they will go to the women demanding and prodding them about other trivial things. How you are not good enough. And to the women, both the judgement and the actual domestic abuse is equal in terms of pain. I see the same thing happening, I recognize the abuse at work and yet hold myself accountable to the point of being perpetually anxious.

    I also wondered about how people say getting hurt by people’s words is on me to fix, by getting stronger mentally. To me, just now, the realization hit, that that is like asking a physically abused person to get better at taking punches. It is not right. Ask the abuser to stop abusing or get the abused away. This is the right way.

    This is why we often need people to talk us into empowering ourselves, abuse had psychological effects that impair our ability to discern what is right. And we are drained to the point that we don’t see alternatives despite being aware of them.

    The other thing, people pleasing. I cannot bear the idea of possibly messing up anything. So scared of causing issues. I’m even thinking about my abusers at work, their tasks that they are yet to complete. It is similar to the abused caring about the abuser. You were already given the hint that any failure in the house is on you, like work for me. It keeps you from having energy to put into leaving. All your time and energy goes in pleasing the abusers and their enablers.

    So, when will Girija be #1 in her life. I want to say now. But I need to learn what it looks like in practice.

    Girija

    in reply to: I want to be normal #397198
    samy
    Participant

    Hi Roberta

    Thank you for your kind words. What you said about healing the inner world is absolutely true. I am not able to figure out how to do that. Would you have pointers?

    Girija

    in reply to: I want to be normal #397164
    samy
    Participant

    No. The other way around. I do not get notifications. So, I usually login to see if there is a reply. I haven’t been active on the topics since my mother’s scan, so I did not have a way to see your were replying. I did not expect you would, since you’d already replied to the last message I had sent. Hope that clears it up.

    in reply to: I want to be normal #397161
    samy
    Participant

    Hi anita! How are you? It’s been really long. Hope you are doing well. Thanks for checking on me twice. I do not get notifications for this thread, and would usually login to check for updates. Since, I’ve been away from this website, I also did not know you were still replying to this thread. I would have replied otherwise, with atleast a short message. I’m sorry not replying to your messages.

    I don’t want to burden you with my rants. So good news first – we did a mammogram then an ultrasound. The breast nodule is too small to biopsy but the ultrasound technician seemed to think it looked benign. We will follow up in 3 months. The mammogram itself said there is only a small chance it is malignant. There is scale, I suppose called BIRADS – my mom’s says it is highly unlikely to be malignant. The ultrasound gives us more confidence.

    How are you doing?

    Girija

    in reply to: I want to be normal #393236
    samy
    Participant

    Hi anita

    We got the report. The lungs seem fine, but there is a new nodule in her breast that showed up in the CT. We’ve messaged her doctor on what to do next. She’ll be travelling to her doctor in March. We’ve asked him if we should do any other tests before we go there.

    Girija

    in reply to: I want to be normal #393230
    samy
    Participant

    Hi anita

    Thanks for looking out. Every time there is a new post, I know to consider that the other person might not like what I say at all, but I just put it out there so it can help someone, even me.

    Is there a specific show you watch? Like stand up?

    Girija

     

    in reply to: I want to be normal #393228
    samy
    Participant

    Hi anita

    Thank you. Good night.

    Girija

     

    in reply to: What is Positive to you? #393227
    samy
    Participant

    I wish, but no. You could try re-reading what I wrote. But that’s how look at being positive.

    in reply to: I want to be normal #393221
    samy
    Participant

    Thanks for the offer, anita.

    Girija

     

     

     

     

     

    in reply to: What is Positive to you? #393219
    samy
    Participant

    Hi Brian

    Being positive is to be on your own side. We have the ability to imagine or project the future whether it is the next minute, the next hours or 10 years from now. Being positive would be to think in your favour. Now this can become unrealistic if you think you’ll become a marathon runner but don’t train. But, where it is powerful is when there are outcomes you can’t control. Gives your mind and heart peace and relief. To me there doesn’t need to be true positive. That is not how it works. It is to what degree do you have to think favourably to make life worth it for you.

     

     

     

     

     

     

    • This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by samy.
    in reply to: I want to be normal #393206
    samy
    Participant

    Hi anita

    Glad to hear covid didn’t bother you. That’s great!

    I can think about other things and eventually tire out and fall asleep.

    Girija

    in reply to: I want to be normal #393204
    samy
    Participant

    Hi anita

    We don’t have the report yet. We’ll call the hospital up tomorrow morning to check if it is ready. I am feeling very nervous. Feel it in my stomach. I don’t know what will happen. A bad result is so scary, I can’t even think about what I’ll do after that. I am terrified of all that we might have to go through if the result is bad. I know its just the thought I am afraid of. But the fear’s there.

    How are you doing? Are you feeling any aftereffects of covid. One of my friends tells me she is extremely tired in the evenings even after she tested negative.

    Girija

    in reply to: I want to be normal #393197
    samy
    Participant

    Good night, anita.

    in reply to: I want to be normal #393195
    samy
    Participant

    Hi anita

    We woke up early today. I was at the hospital when I wrote to you, my mom went in for the scan. I will try this new choice out. It seems like a good idea, in principle like you said. But, basically looking at the big picture that all this will go away so might as well enjoy to the best I can. It also comes with the privilege of having a decent bank balance from having worked until now and in general belonging to the middle class. I might as well make use of this privilege.

    How to be shameless – don’t worry about what it looks like to others when you have a blast with your life. Choosing myself first. Not whether my next project will fail, how it may cause errors, how my health will turn out. No worries. What has to happen will happen. Be happy.

    Girija

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 188 total)