Menu

Thomas168

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 367 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Zen Story #459725
    Thomas168
    Participant

    Hello Peter,

    Peter said, “I often wonder how the words – the world is complicated – have shaped my own experience. I suspect the world has always been the world and that my thoughts create the complications.”

    There are two monks looking at the flag on the pole. The first monk says the flag is moving. The second monk says the wind is moving. The master says, “It is not the wind that moves, and it is not the flag that moves. It is your mind that moves.”

    To me, it is the mind that creates everything in our lives. Of course, that doesn’t mean we should believe that there are no outside forces in our lives. Strange how we can believe that we have free will and yet there is such things such as destiny.

    in reply to: Zen Story #459713
    Thomas168
    Participant

    Hi Alessa,

    Hope all is well with you. Thanks for you kind words. Will try to take your advice to practice more. Lately, I am just obsessed with listening to love songs. Some songs make me feel like my heart is broken again. Other times, the song plants a heart ache. A yearning for love. Getting pushed and pulled. Sometimes it feels good to drown in the songs. Songs that bring up memories. Songs on the radio and I just sing along. Never meant to memorize the songs but they just come pouring out.

    So, this Tuesday night, please be in a good space. Please be healthy, happy and safe.

    in reply to: Zen Story #459703
    Thomas168
    Participant

    Hello Peter,

    Three bows and a thank you.

    in reply to: Zen Story #459695
    Thomas168
    Participant

    Got no story today, just thinking about the Buddha’s thoughts about suffering. First, life comes with it hard hitting traumas. It is unavoidable. That is the first arrow. It hurts. We feel the pain. The emotional scar and physical one lingers. But, we continue to suffer more cause by fighting and reliving the first arrow. It may not make sense to live this way but that is how most of us are. I know I constantly remember things which I regret (either doing or receiving). It arises and I fight to let them go. I think it gives them more strength when I fight. Just got to let it go. Anyway, I know it is easier said then done. Life have proven that. However, I still work on myself and try to learn to do better.

    in reply to: I am not the person I used to be #459694
    Thomas168
    Participant

    Hello Caroline,

    I am sorry for the way life has treated you. But, I do want to minimize the trauma. I want to emphasize the rest of your life. There is still plenty of time to have a great life. You feel this way because you are stuck in the past. Moving forward is the only answer. I am not good at giving advice and often am wrong in my approach to things. But, if you stay stuck regretting life or just going over and over the past trauma then how do you live a good life? What lives rent free in your head?

    Yeah, I am terribly sorry for all the stuff gone by in your past. Can you find it in yourself to forgive and let go the past? So, you aren’t the person you use to be. Why not become a better person? Make your choices for a better life. Okay time for the weird one (me) to shut up now. (

    in reply to: Zen Story #459599
    Thomas168
    Participant

    Thanks for the story. It is a real chin scratcher. Or a temple tapper with the forefinger. I think it is better to be happy with what one has rather than to wish for the greener side of the hill.

    in reply to: Happiness & Suffering #459598
    Thomas168
    Participant

    Hello Alessa,

    Thanks for the words of wisdom. If one spend a lot of time in self observation then one can learn that there are choices to be made. It is how one responds to life’s challenges and opportunities that make life a happy one or not. Sure, loving someone makes life good and losing that person makes us mourn. But, it is choosing where we decide to dwell that makes it true suffering or just a normal part of life. A person can either drown in their sorrow or mourn and move on. This doesn’t diminish the value of the loss. It just doesn’t control us. I hope all is well with you. And this reflection is only a moment of clarity and understanding.

    Thomas168
    Participant

    I tried to go to the RealESALetter.com and my antivirus software said it was a dangerous site and prevented my computer from connecting. So, I do not know what to say. Just please be careful while online.

    in reply to: Zen Story #459507
    Thomas168
    Participant

    Hello Alessa,

    I thought you were replacing an old dishwasher. Not installing a new one. Depending on the model. Does it go into and under the countertop? Plumbing usually means setting up one cold water feed line as the dishwasher has a water heating unit inside it. Do you have copper lines? What size are they? 1/2 inch? I used a pipe cutter. Don’t forget to ream the cut opening for better water flow. Then I use Sharkbite connectors rather than soldering. Then I use Pex plastic water pipes as it is easy to lay out the water lines. Just have to make sure the Pex water lines are held in place. If you need a hard point for connection to washer then you can go back to copper. Or just stay with copper. Then the drain needs a connection. YouTube is fantastic for getting the general idea of what is needed or what to expect. I have put in a small room and full bathroom in the garage. (no permit, no license). Did electrical and plumbing myself. It has been working fine for the past 4 years. I did try to follow building code as much as I know about it. No problems so far.

    If you can change a light switch then you can put in a GFCI outlet to protect against ground faults or short circuits. (Not sure about the UK) Toughest part may be to connect the water line to the washer. Do you have access to under the floor? Basement? Crawl space?

    Oh, my car is just waiting for the spray paint and the light assembly. Should be done by the weekend.

    I hope everything else is going well for you. Sounds like the kid is growing up fast (from the other posts). Take care.

    in reply to: Struggling to settle in new role #459497
    Thomas168
    Participant

    Hello Tom,

    So sorry to hear about the miscarriage. It happened to me and my wife. Totally messed us up. But, we tried again and finally had our daughter. I hope everything goes better the next time you try. Rough times Good luck.

    in reply to: Parent Life #459492
    Thomas168
    Participant

    Liked, ..

    Wishing you and your boy a successful start of a new big chapter in life! ❤️

    in reply to: Zen Story #459482
    Thomas168
    Participant

    Oh, forgot to mention that we require GFCI protection circuits on dishwashers and most major appliances that use water.

    in reply to: Zen Story #459481
    Thomas168
    Participant

    Yeah, being human, it isn’t easy to let go of people and things we love.
    But, it is the attachment that causes our suffering. Still, it doesn’t mean we don’t mourn the one dear to us.

    Oh random question for you. Any advice for installing a dishwasher? 🙏

    The answer to that is a full manual on how to install a dishwasher. But mainly to shut off the water and electric before install. Also to lay down cardboard to protect the floors. I don’t know how the UK sells their dishwashers. Here in the states, the unit is sold without an electric plug which is sold separately. Most stores require you to buy a new one (instead of reusing the old one) when you request the store to set up the dishwasher (for a fee). Dishwasher needs to be level for proper drainage. Hopefully the hoses have rubber seals which don’t require Teflon tape to prevent water leaks. Otherwise, use Teflon tape. Sorry, not much else. I find the tricky part is with pushing in the dishwasher into place as all the hoses and wiring is still in the way.

    Do you have any experience with electrical or plumbing?

    in reply to: Zen Story #459425
    Thomas168
    Participant

    Once a Zen master held up an exquisite tea cup. He showed a good amount of admiration for it. But, he said, “To me, this cup is already broken. I enjoy using it every day and washing it and looking at it. But when it will fall and shatter on the floor someday, I won’t get upset. I will just say, ‘Of course.’

    “The understanding is that everything in life is temporary. People, feelings, and objects don’t last forever. Instead of fearing what you will lose someday or what you love will die, enjoy it fully right now. When it does goes away, you can really accept it peacefully.

    in reply to: Zen Story #459386
    Thomas168
    Participant

    Went to a friends house to play Mah Jong. Afterwards, went out side to the car and saw someone had hit the car in the left rear quarter panel. I expected it was a hit and run. But, there was a police accident report on the windshield. If it were just up to me, I would have only liability which is cheaper than having collision on top of the liability. Anyway, collision paid for the damages. The other party took full blame of the accident (since the car was parked and no one was inside). The insurance adjuster was very nice and really understood what it would take to repair the car. So, I got a good estimate. I have decided to repair the damage myself. So, the money covers the 1 brake light assembly (damaged in accident) replacement along with 2 new headlight assembly (not damaged in accident) and the Bondo and primer and color paint and gloss coat. Just waiting for Amazon to deliver the parts and paints. I have pushed out the dent. Bondo on the surface and sanded it down. Will prime and wait for the paint to come. Won’t look like new but will look better. Ten year old car. Recently had a state inspection done on it. Needed new tires, front sway bar links and rear brake rotors and pads. (Bought online which was way cheaper than brick and mortar stores) All for less than the repair estimate. Which made me happy. Insurance paid me the estimate already. If I did not have collision then would have to wait for the other party’s insurance to pay for the damages. That is if they pay. I have seen my brother in law get into an accident and get no money for damages. Insurance just refused to pay. After that accident, my wife insisted we get collision insurance. Glad we did. We also pay for road side assistance which I have used about three times already for tows.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 367 total)