Menu

anita

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 7,103 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: I just randomly and suddenly fell out of love #460536
    anita
    Participant

    Hey Dear Confused πŸ™‚

    “The first thing I’m gonna clarify before we begin talking… is that I’m not here to prove myself innocent, we’re here to open up about what bothered us and feel heard”- πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

    Sincerely, Confused, I am impressed with you!

    .. I’ll b Back in a moment

    anita
    Participant

    Good late morning, about-to-become-mom, Nea πŸ™‚

    “I’m realizing how difficult it has become for me to be extending empathy for someone who has never really changed”-

    A few years ago, and I shared about it somewhere in these forums, I had an image of a plant situated in a dry, arid ground, so its roots keep growing longer and longer, trying to reach water.

    Similar to a child, situated in an empathy-arid home, extending more and more empathy toward the unempathetic parent, trying to reach his or her heart.

    πŸ’› Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Good morning, Mitch:

    I’m back to your thread 8 days after you started it, just to say that your resentment is valid, meaning, it has a purpose-

    To motivate you to act in ways that not only honor the other person’s needs, but also your own,

    To shift, however gradually, from self- sacrifice, or self- erasure to ===> self- respect and assertion.

    You matter no less than any other person!

    So, don’t try to get rid of your anger. Instead, listen to its message. Once its message is delivered and actualized, it will naturally weaken and eventually be gone

    ✨️✨️✨️ Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Back to the quote above, “With family you can yell, swear, or behave however you want.”-

    Before continuing the quote, look at what he said right above:

    He’s celebrating his freedom to yell, swear and behave however he wants with family, with immediate family: wife and children.. those living “under his roof”.

    Continued: “Whereas you have to control yourself with outsiders”-

    He doesn’t like not having the freedom to yell, swear and behave however he wants with outsiders.

    I suppose his immediate/ living-under-his-roof family provides him with something he can’t get elsewhere and he’s grateful for that.

    He’s almost saying: ‘You’re providing me with the opportunity to do what I need to do: yell, swear, and behave however I want, thank you!’

    And if he is to consider your husband as an insider, as an immediate family member (rather than extended family member or a non- family outsider), your husband too needs to provide your father with that precious opportunity to yell, swear, and behave however he wants.

    Not at all times, only when he needs to.

    Does this resonate?

    πŸ€” Anita

    in reply to: I just randomly and suddenly fell out of love #460527
    anita
    Participant

    Hey πŸ™‚ Confused:

    The following made me smile:

    “But guess what? She has contradictions too.”-

    That’s Confused standing up for himself πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘

    I have no doubt that she’s not a bad person, just a person with an unhealed emotional wound, a wound that took place way before she knew you even existed.

    So, there’re all the good times you had with her on one hand, and on the other- you having to prove that you’re not a liar.. why, that’s unfair to you! (It makes me 🀬)

    I know you for how many pages? I’m not sure, a 100, 8 months? I know that you are not a liar and that you shouldn’t be treated as if you were one.

    “Also times that I violated her boundaries”- did she specify?

    πŸ€” Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Good afternoon, Nea:

    I will reply further in the evening or later tonight, but for now, as I read the following:

    “Another thing he has always said is that with family you can yell, swear, or behave however you want because ‘they’re family,’ whereas you have to control yourself with outsiders. I’ve never understood that logic.”-

    I immediately remembered that one time my mother told me (translated): “You think that I don’t know that I am wrong (in regard to hitting or shaming me), but what are you going to do? You have nowhere to go”

    (That was the only time she ever mentioned being or doing anything wrong).

    Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Nea, I want to add that you don’t have to adopt my view β€” you get to decide what’s true for yourself and move at your own pace πŸ™‚

    anita
    Participant

    Good late morning, Nea:

    “I’m trying to hold both things at once: perhaps my husband could have disengaged earlier… while also recognizing that continuing to speak does not justify what happened afterward”.

    * What happened afterward: “being sworn at, called names, humiliated, or physically intimidated.”

    In most contexts, it makes sense to see the fault on both sides and to share responsibility for what went wrong. Problem here is that there’s no shared responsibility. Your husband did nothing wrong.

    He didn’t disengage earlier because he was trying to explain himself, trying to make your father understand, rightfully trying to protect the truth and his dignity.

    Like I said before, sometimes things truly are black and white.

    Giving the perpetrator legitimacy, equal understanding, or empathy in the context of them initiating and proceeding with the perpetration of abusive acts against their victim (swearing, calling names, etc.), is doing injustice to the victim.

    So, no, I don’t think that distinction is fair.

    Anita

    in reply to: I just randomly and suddenly fell out of love #460520
    anita
    Participant

    Good morning, Dear Confused:

    You wrote in regard to her senditivity to you mentioning an ex (nostalgically or not),

    “This is up to me to adapt to”-

    I agree. I think that it’s reasonable for you to adapt to this very common sensitivity. I’d dare say that women in general do not like their partners talking about exes.

    On the other hand, it would not be reasonable for you to adapt to “guilty until proven innocent”- that would be a miserable way to live.

    Being repeatedly accused for not saying things just the ‘right’ or perfect way, in her mind, and having to defend yourself again and again.. and again, can easily lead to emotional shutdowns.

    Am I understanding correctly: she keeps telling you how much your lie has hurt her, you keep explaining and apologizing, and she keeps saying or implying that your explanations and apologies don’t make any difference to her,

    And she’s saying there’s more than that one lie, that there’re more inconsistencies in what you told her in the past that she thinks may be lies?

    πŸ€” Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Hi Nea:

    I’ll answer further tomorrow morning (I won’t forget!), but for now:

    “I’m South Asian, and there is definitely this strong expectation that if an older person, especially a father or father-in-law, says ‘enough’ or ‘stop talking,’ the younger person should simply stop.”-

    Yes, that makes sense if the younger person gets carried away with some immature, self-centered impulsivity, like ‘I want this, right now!’. The reasonable, mature elder saying “enough” or “stop talking” in that context makes total sense, and the younger person should indeed, “simply stop.”

    But if of the two, the elder is the self-centered and impulsive one, the one who never matured- that’s a different context.

    Anita

    in reply to: I just randomly and suddenly fell out of love #460504
    anita
    Participant

    Good Wed Eve/ Thurs Morning, Confused:

    “Perhaps it’s some specific matters that trigger her”- Yes. Can you make a list of those?

    The 2 triggers I know about: (1) Any EX talk. (By the way, I think it’s a trigger for millions and millions of women around the world, although I don’t have the exact number πŸ™‚).

    (2) Any inconsistency in what you say that she may think to be a lie- that’s a tough one, if I got this trigger right. Did I?

    Because if I’m right, you’re in trouble. It’ll be (or already has been) like walking on a minefield, everything is fine and fun, trolling around.. until it isn’t.

    * I wrote the above before I read this part of your message: “She said there’s a lot of contradictions… piling up”-

    Contradictions she thinks may be lies.

    While the two of you discuss things around this Fri/ Sat, pay attention:

    In her mind, are you innocent until proven guilty (of lying), or are you guilty until- and if- proven innocent?

    If it’s the second, and you didn’t earn that kind of distrust, you may not want your feelings back.

    πŸ€” Anita

    anita
    Participant

    Good Wed Evening, Nea:

    Thank you for saying that πŸ™‚

    I wish you wouldn’t lose the togetherness experience of family get- together holiday events.

    The term ‘triangulation’ comes to mind as a possibility: your father gathering others in the extended family to side with him and against your husband (and by extension against you and your daughter).

    I can easily imagine him doing just that πŸ˜”

    As long as the gatherings happen in HIS house, under HIS roof (like he likes to say), others are likely to feel pressured to bend his way.

    Another term that comes to mind in regard to your mother siding with your father is ‘trauma bonding’.

    I truly believe that your husband did nothing wrong during the confrontation that was perpetrated by your father.

    Often situations are complex and there’s wrongdoing on both sides. But not in what you described.

    Sometimes things are really black and white.

    “I don’t want to pressure my husband into accepting behaviour that I myself know has hurt me for many years just because the person doing it is my father.”-

    That’s your integrity ✨️✨️✨️

    Hmm.. I just noticed that you referred to him as your father (and not as ” dad”). I think it’s healthier. There’s a sentiment that’s attached to the word “dad” that.. doesn’t fit with who he really is.

    You wrote about your husband: “He wants to stand up for himself”- that’s his dignity, his agency. It’s the foundation of everything that’s meaningful.

    I imagine your daughter looking up to her dad (your husband) with admiration, as she naturally will. But if he looks down at himself (for submitting to your father’s domination and abuse), he’ll feel undeserving of the look in her eyes, and that will hurt a lot. I hope that never happens.

    🌿 Anita

    in reply to: I just randomly and suddenly fell out of love #460498
    anita
    Participant

    B Back 2 U in the Eve, Confused πŸ™‚

    in reply to: I just randomly and suddenly fell out of love #460495
    anita
    Participant

    Good afternoon/ night, Confused πŸ™‚

    It’s clear to me that trolling around is a bad idea in this relationship. She needs clarity and joking around blurs clarity.

    I think that she suffers from what I’d call an “unchosen wound” and needs clarity, steadiness and reassurances from you. Problem is that even if you never troll around with her, never (ever) mention an ex, and you reassure her A LOT, she’s likely to still feel unchosen (and keep it inside for some time before she lets you know) because the wound is strong and it predated you.

    I just noticed that you wrote “maybe I feel safe with her”- do you feel safe with her?

    πŸ€” Anita

    in reply to: I just randomly and suddenly fell out of love #460490
    anita
    Participant

    Good Wed morning/ evening, Confused πŸ™‚

    I’ll have to look up “trolling around” when I’m back to the computer πŸ€”

    Some women- and she may or may not be one- carry such a deep wound of not having been chosen in life, of feeling painfully un-special, that no matter what and how much you do to make them feel chosen and special, once you forget or fail to be 100% attentive (an impossibility for anyone), their wound reopens and starts bleeding.

    If this is what’s happening here, it’s only a matter of time before all your loving efforts are judged as lacking, or not enough. And it’d happen again and again because no one can be that perfect (reading her mind at all times and soothing her every worry just at the right time).

    If this is the case, and part of you noticed it (whether you are fully aware of it or not), it could explain why your feelings are off again.

    That in addition to what we already talked about (emotional overwhelm=> shutdown)?

    πŸ€” Anita

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 7,103 total)