Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
August 18, 2026 at 10:29 pm in reply to: When family dynamics you grew up with become unacceptable in adulthood #460476
anitaParticipantHi again, Nea:
What coercive control is, in general: (1) Taking away choices — the controlling person decides what you can do, say, or think, (2) Using fear to get compliance — threats, yelling, and intimidation, (3) Silencing you — ‘you don’t talk when I’m talking,’ etc., (4) Making you doubt yourself — twisting reality, blaming you, or making you feel wrong for normal reactions, (5) Monitoring or controlling your movements — deciding where you go, who you see, or how you behave, (6) Punishing independence — anger or consequences when you show autonomy.
Nea: “My dad began swearing, calling him names, repeatedly emphasizing that it was ‘his roof,’ and eventually physically advancing/charging toward him… And yes, there has been a lot of name-calling directed at me personally over the years. I mean actual swear words and degrading language—being called a ‘bitch,’ being told to ‘shut the fuck up,’ ‘get the fuck out of my house,'”-
Again, the words of the song “What’s love got to do with it?” come to mind. And I would add: What does culture has to do with it?
Anita
August 18, 2026 at 9:49 pm in reply to: When family dynamics you grew up with become unacceptable in adulthood #460475
anitaParticipantHi Nea, good Tues night:
Your daughter is fortunate to have two parents with her best interest in heart, even before she’s born!
You mentioned your concern about future holidays and special occasion before.
I wonder if those meant a lot to you growing up, maybe those were safe times when your father was on his best behavior?
Yes, your father’s verbal abuse and physical intimidation was not okay. And seems like he feels no guilt about it.
Your husband sounds reasonable. I can’t blame him for…
* Wait, warning: this may sound crude because I am using a word your father has used as part of his verbal abuse: “bi***”)-
I can’t blame your husband for not wanting to be your father’s bi***.
The idea of it enrages me because I was my mother’s bi***: someone who looked down at the floor and did not protest when she abused me verbally and physically.
I’ll continue shortly.
Anita
anitaParticipantHey 🙂 Confused:
Wanting to help and not knowing how, or not having the time or the patience to invest in a human reply, and/ or wanting to sound fantastically (yet artificially) intelligent 🤔
The two of you are talking again 🙂
I think that she wants to feel chosen, special, to be your One and Only- in your mind, heart, words and actions.
I wonder (not that I am recommending it), what she would think if she read the how many pages of this thread where you talked about her so much. I wonder if she’d feel special.
Clearly, she’d want to be asked officially to be in a relationship with you, one where you show way more commitment than “seeing how it’s going”.
It just occurred to me that it may be a good idea for you- when you talk to her, when you say something- to pause and ask her what she thinks or feels about what you just said before saying more.
Anita
anitaParticipantHi Girija:
I thought you were Lu simply because you’re the person who started this thread, and Lulu wrote: “I am the one who started this thread a while back, and I still stop by to read..” (first person)
After my reply above, using the phone, I got to the computer and asked AI about it.
AI (Copilot): “Lu (a real person) probably copied Girija’s original post, pasted it into an AI tool, and asked the AI to “write a reply as me” or “write something supportive”
What the AI then did: The AI saw the thread and made two classic mistakes: Mistake #1: It assumed the first post belonged to the person using the AI. So, it wrote: “I’m the one who started this thread.”
Mistake #2: It then treated Girija as a different person. So, it wrote: “Girija, I’m so sorry…”
This creates the contradiction you noticed: The AI speaks as if it is Girija. Then speaks to Girija.
A real human would never do that. An AI does it all the time when given a thread without clear instructions.
The simplest truth: Lu is a person using AI to generate replies. The AI misunderstood the thread and accidentally claimed to be Girija, then immediately contradicted itself by addressing Girija in the second person.
That’s why the message feels strange, polished, and disconnected from reality.”
I apologize, Girija. I was confused 😔🤍
Anita
anitaParticipantLu: “I’m the one who started this thread”-
Oh, my goodness, it’s you then, Girija!
You did share not long ago- in this thread- that AI is like your therapist.
Same is true for me, by the way.
So, is Lu the AI version of Girija?
🤔 Anita
anitaParticipantHello again, Shinnen:
I want to stay in your lane this time, that is to stay with what you’re saying, instead of drifting to what it brings up for me..
You’re saying that if you’re afraid of something, ex. snakes, the term “let go” implies that your hand is holding a snake, or holding the fear of snakes.
Which is not true, so it’s a false assumption.
And based on that false assumption, the offered solution is to relax your hand and let go of the snake or the fear.
I think that you’re making an excellent point, John, if I’m completely understanding what you’re saying.
How can I let go of something I’m not holding on to?
I can’t. It’s a problematic saying then, one that should not be used in this context 🤔
Anita
anitaParticipantGood Morning, Confused 🙂
No, Lu didn’t answer your thread before. Lu is a new account established yesterday, and her replies are 100% AI- generated.
In the past, at times, my replies were also 100% AI-ed, meaning, I copied a member’s post or series of posts and asked (Copilot) to analyze and reply for me.
I thought I was being helpful, but as I read Lu’s AI- ed replies, I decided to never do that again because it doesn’t feel right to be on the other side of it. I mean, if I, as a member in the forums, submit a post about my struggles, I expect real people to answer. If, on the other hand, I want AI’s input, I can get it directly.
… Oh, my goodness, Confused! I didn’t read the second part of your message until just now. Hmm.. She’s clearly not over you in the sense of feeling indifferent or being done with having any contact with you.
And she’s sufferring 😔
How are you feeling about this latest communication with her..?
🤔 Anita
August 18, 2026 at 10:44 am in reply to: When family dynamics you grew up with become unacceptable in adulthood #460460
anitaParticipantGood Tuesday Morning, Nea 🙂
“There’s this constant feeling that we’re the ones who are supposed to apologize and make things right, especially culturally because they’re older”-
Culture that says: respect your elders no matter how they behave is the perfect setting for a no- accountability, safe and socially protected environment- for abusive elders.
I am reminded of the examples you gave me some time ago of the words your father used against your husband. The repeated F word comes to mind (using my phone, I can’t go back and look at them)-
Not befitting an elder.
Respect should be a 2 way street, a basic human ethic. Not a circumstantial variable where a child (your father as a boy) was disrespected/ abused by his elders, and then grows up to disrespect/ abuse his own children because now, it’s his turn.
If this is culture, then it’s a culture of generational cycle of disrespect and abuse.
Can you imagine you or your husband continuing this cycle by using the F word against your daughter, charging at her, threatening to hit her or kick her out of the house (.. but only if she ‘deserves’ it and needs to be put in ‘her place’)?
Anita
August 17, 2026 at 10:56 pm in reply to: When family dynamics you grew up with become unacceptable in adulthood #460447
anitaParticipantHi Nea:
I apologize. I was wondering today why you didn’t reply to me. I totally forgot that I wrote “Back 2 U in the morning” at 11:48 pm last night. Red wine last night and I forgot. And I wondered today if our communication was too much for you and you withdrew.
The quality and intensity of what we’re talking about is something else. I don’t come across people like you. I’m so glad you posted tonight, to let me know you’re still here.
Back to your last night post:
“And yes, my husband truly did see my dad as a father figure. He really looked up to him. He would try to do things for him, especially emotionally, and I think for a long time he genuinely tried to see the best in him.”-
And he did so as an adult. Imagine how much you- as a little girl- looked up to him, would try to do things for him, genuinely trying to see the best in him (your father).
In a way, your husband, as an adult, experienced what you did as a child, condensed in a short time.
I will make a big note on my screen to get back to you tomorrow.
Feel free to post more, I’ll still be at the computer for a little while.
Anita
August 17, 2026 at 10:18 pm in reply to: When family dynamics you grew up with become unacceptable in adulthood #460446
anitaParticipantOh, my goodness, Nea.. I forgot to get back to you this morning? That’s so unlike me… I’ll write more in a moment.
anitaParticipantHi again, Shinnen:
I’d like to share with you what your posting brought up for me:
Before I read your explanation, and after my first reply, I remembered how angry and frustrated I used to get when I was told to “get over” my childhood, (which to me, is very similar to being told to “let go”.)
I couldn’t get over the childhood that damaged me so, nor could I let go of the hurt and shame, guilt, anger and confusion that resulted from that childhood.
Not because I was stubborn and refused the ‘simple’ act of letting-go/ getting-over it, but because to heal- even partly- one has to walk through what happened (not over), and to let in real clarity about what happened- rather than release (let go) of what is not yet seen clearly.
Is what I shared here relevant to what You’re talking about?
Anita
anitaParticipantDear Confused:
I hope that Lu answers you again and that the 2 of U have a conversation here 🙂
“I think it’s mostly to escape my existence”- I don’t understand. Can you explain?
She said: “I was convincing everyone that U are different than most men, how stupid I was”-
It’s clear that she had a very negative experience with men, either directly or by proxy of others. An example would be: her mother was cheated by men, told her daughter about it at length, and she (daughter) absorbed her mother’s experience as if it was her own.
This means, seems to me, that it was just a matter of time before you fell into the “like most men” category of hers.
How are you feeling, Confused?
🐔 (🙂 just because) Anita
anitaParticipantB back 2 U later, Confused. Please take a break from thinking about it all, listen to some music, watch a movie.. some distraction for now
anitaParticipantSo good to read from you, Tom! I’m glad that the enforced time off with your loved ones (Hollie and the 🐶) was good. I am fine, thank you, having 2 🐶🐶 with me right now, Bogart and Kurby.
Coming to think of it, I felt a bit negative earlier, before reading your post, and you saying that you continue to try and be positive- reminded me that I can do the same and.. my mood improved, thank you 🙏
🌿 Anita
anitaParticipantThinking about you, Girija
-
AuthorPosts
