Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
September 14, 2026 at 9:26 pm in reply to: When family dynamics you grew up with become unacceptable in adulthood #460963
anitaParticipant* edit (1st post this eve): … grace and flexibility are treated as weaknesses to be used, not appreciated or reciprocated.
September 14, 2026 at 8:42 pm in reply to: When family dynamics you grew up with become unacceptable in adulthood #460962
anitaParticipantI’ve been using my phone, so I was looking at page 10 as I replued a little earlier. Now looking at page 11. My input:
Your husband needs you to “give the topic some breathing space” because he needs some breathing space. His mentioning of separation was motivated by his need to breathe, to find refuge from Pressure.
What you’re saying is that you’re too anxious to stop pressuring him?
Your husband acknowledged that he had hurt you when he mentioned separation, and he apologized to you.
That’s not anything your father ever did- acknowledge that he had hurt any of his own 2 daughters, and apologized to either one. Did he?
The vertical/ power over strategy works because no one expects accountability (for mistakes and wrongdoings), flexibility or grace from someone who will not give it- so the pressure and criticism is not directed at the perpetrator (your father) but at their accountable, flexible-able victim (your husband).
You asked how “to look at the situation as neutrally as possible”- how about looking at the situation not neutrally but as it truly is?
🤔 Anita
September 14, 2026 at 7:43 pm in reply to: When family dynamics you grew up with become unacceptable in adulthood #460961
anitaParticipantGood Monday evening 🙂 Nea
You’re welcome.
It takes only a second or 2 to say “hi”, and 2-3 seconds to say “hello”, and very little energy to pronounce either word, less than a calorie 🤔.
But that’s not the issue. I imagine that your husband fears that if he says “hi”, your father will not say hi back, and instead will take that tiny greeting as the first step in a multiple- steps submission-humiliation process, and only when the process is completed-to your father’s satisfaction- your father will eventually reward him.
You wrote, “I just keep wondering whether there could be a little room for grace or flexibility”-
You wrote this in regard to your husband, not in regard to your father.
You’re not wondering if your father could show grace or flexibility, do you?
In a power-over pattern of behavior, grace and flexibility are treated as weaknesses to be used, reciprocate. appreciated or reciprocated.
“Their relationship was good before all of this.”-
I imagine it looked good from the outside, and it felt genuine on the part of your husband (who lost his parents young), but for someone with your father’s history and pattern of behavior (as you described at length in now 11 pages), it was likely performative rather than genuine.
Meaning he felt good about how the relationship made him look (like a good, caring and generous father-in- law), not that he felt genuinely connected and close to your husband.
I’d like to add to this reply a bit later.
🌿 Anita
September 14, 2026 at 1:50 pm in reply to: When family dynamics you grew up with become unacceptable in adulthood #460956
anitaParticipantGood Monday afternoon, Dear Nea 🙂
I wanted to add to my reply from yesterday: the pressure you’re feeling is coming from your father’s behavior and the long history behind it — not from your husband. Your husband is reacting to exhaustion and the strain of the situation he found himself in. The real conflict is between the vertical structure in your family and the life you and your husband are trying to build.
When I say “vertical structure,” I mean a power‑over pattern where one person stays in the top position and everyone else is expected to submit and adjust around them. In that kind of system, there’s no equality and no real respect — the dominant person sets the emotional tone, decides what’s acceptable, and never apologizes or softens.
Your father has lived in that top position for years, and the pressure you’re feeling now is coming from that structure, not from your husband.
🌿 Anita
September 13, 2026 at 8:59 pm in reply to: When family dynamics you grew up with become unacceptable in adulthood #460941
anitaParticipantNea, good reading from you this Sunday night 🙂
I’m glad to read that health wise things are better, and that after your husband mentioned the S word (“separate”), he clarified that he doesn’t want to separate.
I understand why he brought up this “solution”- he’s been under pressure to.. well, to give up his own dignity for “peace”, which in real terms means to assume the belly- up position to your father/ to submit to domination.
Your husband told you that he loves you so much.. Would you say that your father is not really about LOVE but about having POWER over people?
Anita
anitaParticipantHey SWolf:
I asked: “How does fear feel in your body?” You answered: “mainly tense muscles and sweating”-
That’s your brain running away from something, or toward something, running and sweating- before the body even moves.
The mind/ brain- it easily runs 100 km per hour while the body didn’t even move a centimeter.
Think of a 2-hour movie, 10 or 50, or a 100-years-action take place in 2 hours.
My healing has been about removing myself from the big-screen movie theater section of my mind (running 100 km an hour and getting nowhere fast), and placing myself in the real-life here-and-now, just this moment, this little moment, right now.
Trusting myself has been about trusting myself as a here-and-now human being, not a failed movie star who failed to move Fast and win Big.
You ended your last post with: “like chasing one after another improvement loop that’s never ending.”-
– “chasing” => muscles tense, sweating.
This brings to mind a tattoo I saw on a young woman’s arm recently (in the dog park I frequent), it says (I paraphrase, you can look it up, it’s something an Australian poet said):
‘What if I Fail?’ And the answer: ‘But my darling, what if you Fly?’
Thing is, it doesn’t have to be movie-like, huge Fail or Fly. It can be a bit of a fail, a bit of a fly- nothing to get tense about, nothing to be sweating about.
The humility of being a human being.
What says SWolf?
Anita
anitaParticipantSo glad to read back from you, SWolf 🙂
I’ll B back 2 U later.
Anita
anitaParticipantHey Confused 🙂
Yes, he’s 👴(but with long hair and lots of tattoos)
I hear you — going all‑in feels meaningful to you, and I’m not arguing with that. What I’m pointing to is something different: when “all‑in” turns into giving a relationship power over your motivation, your mood, and your direction.
Enjoying intensity is one thing; losing yourself inside it is another. (You said on Sept 5: “I was more active in my life and I was enjoying things more… I would get motivated… but everything lost its meaning.”)
You can still go all‑in without handing over the steering wheel of your life. That’s the part I’m talking about. 🙂
Anita
anitaParticipantHi Roberta, thank you for your kind message. I’m okay and taking a quiet break from posting. Wishing you well 🙂
anitaParticipantGood late Sunday morning, Girija 🙂
About the gaps you noticed in your new team- has your tendency been to see gaps/ imperfections as bigger than they truly are, as dangerous?
I’m asking because I want to make sure I understand.
If I do, it’s like living in an earthquake zone, fearing any tiny shake may mean a catastrophic earthquake.
When you wrote “anticipating non stop”, you mean anticipating disaster/ the next earthquake (or tsummnami), so to speak?
This tendency would be a direct result of growing up in an acutely unsafe home.
CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) is about challenging catastrophizing thoughts and bringing them down to earth, as in- not every problem is as big as it feels.
Correcting distorted/ catastrophizing thoughts => lessening the anxiety and alarm that naturally accompany such thoughts.
Did we talk before about CBT?
Looking forward to your thoughts, Amazing Girija 🙂
🌿 Anita
September 6, 2026 at 10:54 am in reply to: When family dynamics you grew up with become unacceptable in adulthood #460841
anitaParticipantContinued:
Well, I don’t “know” that he didn’t mean “so small” as criticism. I assume he didn’t because of how ridiculous it would be if he did.
But him criticizing his grandaughter would be in line with him externalizing his feelings/ his discomfort-
Placing the responsibility for it in someone else’s hands, as in: I feel uncomfortable acknowledging her- not because I’m angry at her dad, or because I feel this or that-
But because SHE is too small.
I hope that the sleep deprivation lessens for you 🙏
Thank you for your kind acknoledgment at the beginning of your message. Next Sat music event is dependent on whether it rains or not. Yesterday afternoon there was thunder and rain!
Good to read from you again, Nea!
🌿 Anita
September 6, 2026 at 10:25 am in reply to: When family dynamics you grew up with become unacceptable in adulthood #460840
anitaParticipantGood Sunday morning, Nea 😊
The smile emoji above, and the one on my face right now is about “But we are moving soon!!”!
“Lately, he also has barely acknowledged my baby at all, which I find really sad… he doesn’t really bother much with her. He has indirectly said things to my mom about it being because she is ‘so small,'”-
I know he didn’t mean it as criticism of your baby daughter being ‘too small’ for him to attend to.. but it may be his beginning criticism of her. I’ll write more in a moment.
Anita
anitaParticipantHey Girija:
No, I didn’t adopt another dog. I already have the one and am too old for another.
“It has long left their mouths and become my inner compass”- Wow, Girija, this is such an intelligent way to say it!
“Going forward I will do things for me. Write the document for myself. Code for myself. And that is the end state.”- this sounds just right. Again, a WOW on my part!
I want to reply further tomorrow, Sunday morning.
You’re amazing, Girija!
Anita
anitaParticipantHey Dear Confused:
It looks like you didn’t read my most recent post an hour and a half ago, about the conversation this evening with the Greek guy.
Yes, I understand: 99.44% long- distance can feel very meaningful.
Whatever it is, you gave her too much power over your mind and life. It’s like you sacrificed your own motivations.. for what?
🤔 Anita
anitaParticipantI have to tell you, Confused- I had a social outing this afternoon where the Greek guy I told you about was part of.
You asked me what part of Greece he’s from. Well, he was born in the U.S, so I asked him this evening (inspired by your question), what part of Greece his family is from.
I didn’t have a pen and paper to write down his answer, but he did say his mother was from Athens, his father from Sparta, and listed other places I can’t recall, mentioning Crete (and WW2) and Cyprus, so a whole conversation between 2-3 people was inspired by Confused’s question, ‘Where in Greece is he from’? 🙂
Anita
-
AuthorPosts
